kava kava source

paddyboy

I've never seen it in BKK. If you live down South the nearest place to get it may be Singapore, where Australian-made Kava Kava pills are available.

One place to try in Bkk though may be the pharmacy on the 2nd floor of the World Trade Center, which sells a vast range of health products otherwise not easily available. They even sell Melatonin (tucked away in a backroom), which is actually banned in Thailand.

Kava is made from the root of the Black Pepper plant, Piper Methysticum, So if you can find that at any nursery, get a few and make a plantation coz your gonna need a few!

I have only ever had Kava the traditional (Fijian) way, and from that experience, know that you need a hell of a lot to feel the 'ultimate effect'. It is sold as 2 different types, 'Waka' and 'Lewena'.Waka having the stronger effect, is made from the fibrous root system, whereas Lewena, is somewhat weaker and made from the thickest part of the main root, right up to the stem.

Somehow I just cant grasp that pills would have any sort of noticeable effect, as I know from many years experience of drinking it that you need a fair amount to feel any sort of sensation, although there is a strain grown in Vanuatu that is especially strong, and I was pretty wasted off that stuff quite quickly.

Beware of prolonged use of Kava, as it leads to a condition known in Fiji as 'Kani Kani' or Crocodile Skin. it Drys the skin out very badly and makes it quite scaly, resembling that of a crocodile.

As for availability in LOS, well I know you can order it through the net, just do a search for it.

As for it being known as "Kava Kava" well I think thats a marketing ploy to make it sound a bit more 'Tribal', Its actually known throughout the South Pacific as just plain old 'Kava' or 'Kava Yagona' in Fiji where it is most commonly used in ceremonies.

The most common way of using it is straining the dried pounded root in water thru cheesecloth or whatever has good straining properties, do about 250grams in about 3 litres of water to make it nice and strong and drink it down! It is very much an aquired taste so beware!

Anybody know where to get kava kava in BKK? 'Brand's' supposedly makes it (according to their web site), but I can't actually find it anywhere. I work down south so I don't get up there often, and usually I'm just passing through and so I can't look a lot.

In lieu of kava kava, does anyone know of if there is a Thai version of an herbal relaxant like kava kava?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't have the link. It was on my local health report news station. They were doing a rundown about supplements and their effects of calming a person down. they said melatonin doesn't really work and there's evidence of kava kava damaging the liver.

I used to take St John's Wort, which is a similar type of thing but have since used Kava Kava. The best place I have found is on the net at www.kickbackwithkava.com . There is info on Kava, you can order in tablet (very strong) or powder form and it gets delivered very quickly. $29 for 60 tablets which is a months worth. Hope this helps.

OffQuay.

ps. I have no affiliation with the website so i hope the guys don't mind me posting the URL.

thanks for that link OffQuay. yes there are warnings about use with alochol and liver warnings.

here is the Discalaimer and Precautions from that site...

""The statements in this website have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Caution

Consult a health professional before taking this product if you are pregnant, nursing a baby or taking any prescription medications. This product should not be taken with any alcoholic beverages. Excessive consumption may impair one's ability to drive or operate heavy equipment. Not recommended for persons under the age of 18.

: The American Botanical Council "advises against taking kava daily for more than four weeks. And those who have liver problems, take drugs that affect the liver or drink alcohol regularly should not use it at all."

Maggie Greenwood-Robinson, Ph.D. in her book "Kava: The ultimate guide to nature's anti-stress herb" states that:

"Observe how you feel after taking kava, watching for any unusual reactions. If you have an adverse reaction, discontinue the supplement. Fortunately, though, side effects from moderate, short-term kava use are virtually nonexistent." (pg. 172).

"Kava should not be taken if you're currently taking a sedative, antianxiety drug, tranquilizer, or antidepressant. Nor should it be used in conjunction with antihistamines. Kava could counteract or interfere with the action of other drugs. To be on the safe side, it is probably not a good idea for you to use kava while under medication. Be sure to confirm this with your physician, however." (Appendix A, pg. 192).""

Archived