Sores on mouth

I have in the past kissed BGs who have had sores near to their mouths, which I assume is herpes (I stopped when I discovered the sores). I also lived for a long time with a girl who had herpes. Well I think she had herpes as she would get sores on her mouth when she was feeling stressed although she never said what the cause was.

The strange thing is that despite all this I don't seem to have any sign of having herpes myself.

One would have thought that kissing BGs must put one at tremendous risk of catching herpes. However perhaps the risk may be exaggerated crazy.gif" border="0

Probably the girls you were talking about were suffering from herpes. But:

Firstly, transmission rates of infectious diseases are never 100%. I don't know the transmission rate per physical contact with a herpes lesion, but I guess it is high (perhaps over 50%?). Even when there is no visible lesion, transmission rate is still somewhat over 1%. So maybe you are still not infected.

Secondly, if you are infected, no symptoms need to occur. Most (primary) infections are a-symptomatic and the majority of people who are HSV-positive can't recall a history of herpes-like lesions.

If you want to be sure if you are HSV-positive (HSV = Herpes Simplex Virus), you can ask your doctor to test your blood on HSV-antibodies.

Oral herpes are extremely common. I've heard that 80% of American adults carry the virus - usually HSV1. Most people rarely have symptoms, unless their immune systems aren't in top-top shape. You may have had cold sores long ago and forgotten about it. If so you'd be likely to have partial or total immunity to whatever version the girl had...

• 2 weeks later...

Herpes simplex virus is acutely infectious when one comes into direct contact with virus. The lesion itself is nothing more than the holding capacity container for the virus in liquid form. Once the integrity of the lseion wall is compromised so leakage occurs or maybe even permeation, then viral contact becomes viable.

To my knowldege, if one who is infected but not active (means having physical signs - maybe not aware because so minor), then the transmission rate is close to zero or extremely low. I believe a credible epidemiologist would never absolutely say a zero infection rate because nothing is a scientific absolute when talking about humans, human behavior, disease and disease transmission.

Cardinalblue

Archived