Spermicide

1. Is spermicide gel widely available in the pharmacy in Thailand?

2. Or must be prescribed?

3. If avail - how much does is cost?

4. Safer than just condom - own opinion.

I did'nt think there was such a thing as a prescription in LOS . I have allways just asked for & received whatever I wanted , it's great .( I guess maybe prescriptions exist for the real serious stuff , but I doubt spermicide comes in as "serious" stuff ).

As for spermicide, I have never used it , I will be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are . It would act as a lube as well I guess , which you may need to violate some of the tight holes you will want to crawl into. smile.gif" border="0

this topic is probably better moved to the Health Forum thread ...

but a quick reply here to say that:

nonoxynol-9 is the most widely used spermacide ... and probably easily available in LOS ... but WHY ??

you planning on going "bareback" ? ... NOT a good idea !!

also, some of the literature supports that nonoxynol-9 actually might possibly INCREASE STD/HIV risks ... perhaps because of it's slightly caustic nature on delicate sexual tissues ?!?

it surely tastes terrible ...

I'd rethink this one if I were you.

Rather a suggestion to have a combo of condom AND spermicide.

This will perhaps prevent some other disease since i reckon the nonoxynol will at least kill some other germs/stuff/vir around there.

Definitely not to be taken(in the mouth).

Interesting findings! Thanks and hope all will have a quick read about it too.

Basically using a N-9 gel is presumably ineffective and perhaps riskier.

Any comments on condom already coated with N-9?

Insert Edit by (Moderator) tc4rob: CDC says "no" to N-9 coated condoms ... see link above.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: tc4rob ]

If it's lubrication you're looking for with condoms, choose the type that are NOT lubricated with N-9 (per CDC recommendations)

One of the best lubes out there is Astroglide ... about 15 bucks in the US for a 5 ounce bottle.

But if you choose well, you won't need lube ... unless you're going for "back door" sex or have a preference for katoeys.

To each his own ... enjoy !!

Nonoxynol-9 is an extremely effective cytotoxic (cell destroying) spermicide. Too effective, in fact. Besides destroying sperm, it can also damage mucous membrane cells, like those that line the vagina, cervix and urethra. N-9 can cause those tissues to become inflamed and delicate, meaning they're weaker and more easily torn, which provides more opportunities for viral infection. N-9 has been shown to destroy the HIV virus in test tubes, but unfortunately it's tendency to weaken mucous membranes may actually increase the risk of HIV infection.

Personally, I've found that condoms with N-9 are irritating, so I now just use condoms which are un-lubricated or have a water-based lubricant without N-9.

Using N-9 *without* a condom as a means of preventing HIV infection is ineffective, at best, and at worst may actually increase the risk over using nothing at all.

Another web site for thought:

Canadian Consumer Health Alert on Nonoxynol-9

Archived