Cumpulsory Dinner?

Pat_from_Jersey

Yeah, quite a few hotels now throw this one at you if you are making reservations over festive periods (Xmas and Nyear), this is not a "thai" thing and can be found all over the world. To me, its a scam pure and simple, BUT, having said that, its a "legitimate" scam in that you are clearly advised at the time of booking. Of course, you only have to *pay*, and attendance is not compulsory..

Your only practical option is to find another hotel that does not practice this...

-j-

This is Thailand and this practice is quite common...at least for the "tourist class" type of hotels...$133 per person though is an absolute and complete ripp-off and you should voice your disapproval by cancelling this shit-house hotel...there are plenty of hotels that would appreciate your custom without thieving from your wallet...check the banner ads right upon nanaplaza.com and you will get a good deal...and remember, NO hotel in Thailand is worth $133 per person EXTRA on top of the tariff!

I have spoken with the owners of the Crown Hotel Group, Soi 6/8 location and Sukhumvit Soi 29 location.

the managers have informed me that the Crown Group, will NEVER require guests to pay any type of additional holiday expenses. The prices on the menus, both the room service menu and the Coffee Shop menu will remain the same as usual.

In addition, they will clean the ceiling mirrors for free prior to New Year's Eve!

"any kind of mandatory charge for a dinner is a total scam and a rip off" Crown Manager

Cumpulsory? Does that mean you have to cum?

Seriously, compulsory dinner on New Year's Eve is standard practice at quite a few hotels across the globe. Some hotels in NYC or London or Tokyo or wherever do the same thing. The reasoning is that the hotel will be fully occupied on New Year's Eve in any case, so the hotel can afford to be selective and only take guests willing to pay for the New Year's party. Usually it's more than just dinner - there are often unlimited drinks, snacks and favors throughout the evening, plus dancing to live music, countdown and champagne toast at midnight, etc. But $133 does sound expensive by Thai standards, must be at a five-star hotel.

Thank you for your booking request at the Siam Bayview. Unfortunately, the

hotel has advised us that there are no longer any rooms available at our

exclusive discounted rate. This is due to extremely high occupancy during

the period you have selected.

We do have, however, have a trading partner who specializes in finding

rooms during these periods of high occupancy that are often the result of

trade shows, festivals, popular vacation periods and other events.

Our partner may be able to secure a room for the requested hotel at the

rates of USD 111.00.- per room per night per room per night inclusive of

service charge and taxes.

Please note that there are compulsory dinner during New Year Eve on Dec

31, 05 at USD 133.00.- per person per meal

They have offered Welcom Jomiten Beach Hotel for $111 per night, plus the $133 for holdiay dinner.

Those prices are well over the top, shop around a bit more, try these 2 places Sabai inn and Markland they are both in north Pattaya Soi 1/2, there are many beer bars nearby, and walking street is only a 5 min, 10bt ride away. Regarding the compulsary gala dinners, the last one I was 'forced' into turned out to be a very enjoyable party and well worth the extra fee (<600 bt including a superb open air buffet, served round the pool) :)

They really are taking the piss. How can the party cost more than the room?

Check around as you should be able to find something a lot better than that. Some places will have a mandatory dinner but a lot of places will not. Here is a web site full of Pattaya Hotels. Good luck! http://www.pattayaplaza.com/

A couple of years ago I stayed New Year's Eve at the Mandarin in Hong Kong. No mandatory dinners. Just an optional party which could be joined for a fee. Perfect.

TheLastEuropean

The Crown Hotel was good at 650 baht but they tried to charge me 780 last time and that was it for me. They are worth 650 and no more, if that. Had some good sex in that hotel though. Found another hotel across the street that still charges 650.

Oneye

Archived