Noise Reduction Headphones

Sarisin

Tiger Moth said:[/b

Shure headphone products are referred to as "Sound Isolating" and so I would think not subject to points made in your comments about "noise cancelling headsets".

You may think so, but you are incorrect. "Sound Isolating" is just a phrase used to distiguish Shure from the rest of the pack.

Regarding your statement: " "Sound Isolating" is just a phrase used to distiguish Shure from the rest of the pack. ".

Well, I don't know how you reached your conclusion. But, Shure specifically states differently in their product description, as follows: "And unlike bulky headphones utilizing active noise cancellation technology, no artifacts are introduced into your listening experience.".

Tiger Moth said:

But, Shure specifically states differently in their product description, as follows: "And unlike bulky headphones utilizing active noise cancellation technology, no artifacts are introduced into your listening experience.".

If Shure has that in their product description, I guess it must be true.

the sony noise reduction set I purchased several years ago has proven to be an excellant investment.

incredable amount of noise reduction.

mine are the 'over the entire type' .. quite, but can get uncomfortable after 10 hours of constant ear flattening!

I carry the inset type that came with my mp3 player & use them for a while & my ears recover quickly from the 'over the ear' flattening effect ..

the noise differance going from the ear plug non noise reduction to the noise reduction is amazing.

Between Eva Evergreen Class & the noise reduction ( & melatonin? ), my jet lag has deminished greatly.

I slap a 10 hour mp3 cd into my 2k Tbt MBK CD/vcd player & can really zone away from the stressfull noisy cabin.

the sonys came with the '2 prong' plug for the airline headphone jack ..

1 AAA battery is enoungh for the transpacific trip.

I purchased the Plane Quite headphones and they seem to work very well. Also the price is a lot better than Bose as well.

I think that I paid 40 something dollars for the set that fold up into a bag. It also comes with an plug adapter for the airplane seats so you can enjoy the music or movies, makes a big difference.

Here is the website that discusses these headphones.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2003/0620.htm

Hopefully this will help you making your decision.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read some reviews about the Shure products and Bose.

For me, Bose is just too big to carry around for daily use on trains and subways. 300 US$ is not a big investment if you fly a lot IMO.

Years back, some airlines had noise cancelling headphones in business or first class, trouble with those compared to the nice snug fit of the Bose, they never really covered or "sealed" my ears well enough to truly cancel the noise.

but back to Shure, some reviews said they do not really do noise cancellation that well.

I have a pair of high end sony in the ear (like ear plugs) (about 40 USD$) headphones. Good sound quality, decent as ear plugs even if I am not listening to anything.

Has anyone tried both Shure and these types of in the ear headphones?

Are they all that different? I need new small for daily use, headphones anyway, so wondering.

Even noise cancelling stuff like Bose may or may not block out a screaming baby on the flight. They certainly cancel the drone of the plane noise, (a very good thing indeed!) but in my experience, you can still hear people talk if the volume is not so loud.

Archived