Noise Reduction Headphones

Sarisin

Another trip across the big pond coming and I thought I should finally invest in a decent pair of noise reduction headphones.

Any recommendations? Local (Bangkok) or best to purchase on the 'net. I see plenty on sites like eBay with a full range of prices and am just looking for first-hand recommendations.

I just gotta do something about those screaming babies...

Appears there aren't many people hear that've had experience with these.

I bought a pair of SONY MDR-NC11 Noise Canceling Headphones about 2 years ago and have been very pleased with them. At the time, they were very highly rated especially in comparison to what else was available.

The head phones are small and comfortable. Decent sound quality. Should be many reviews available on the net.

You might be able to pick up a pair of refurbished ones for $60 or so.

In any case, I'm very pleased with them.

A while back I did a similar post to this (although I couldn't find it using search).

I received quite a few informed relplies and one of them suggested Shure which has a line of noise cancelling headphones, among other products. These headphones extend into the ear canal and are very high quality.

So, I actually purchased a pair and found that they performed beautifully. Sound of my music was fabulous and outside sound did not get in.

I did have an unfortunate problem because I decided to be "cheap". At the time of my purchase, Shure had 3 models, E2C, E3C and E5C (a new model, E4C has recently become available). The E2Cs are the oldest technology and by far the least expensive. I purchase a pair on Amazon.com for $79., the E5Cs were generally going for about $500 at the time. As it turns out there are 2 "features" with respect to fit. One is the part that goes into your ear canal and the other is the part that is external and sits in the outer part of your ear. Unfortunately, the outer part of E2Cs is relatively large and the outer part of my ear is small. So, by a hair, the outer part of the EC2s don't fit and I can't use them (if I use my hand to hold the outer part in place, I can "use" the E2Cs and this is how I was able to determine the excellent sound quality and lack of outside noise).

If you do a Google search and go to Shure's web site you can see pictures of the various models and you will see the new E4Cs are newer technology and I expect will be very comfortable and easy to use. I recently saw E4Cs available for under $190 and I am going to buy a pair as I will be going for a US visit in a few weeks. $190 seems very, very expensive to me but, I have been cheap once already and ended up with something wasn't successful for me (should have paid a bit more and gone for E3Cs right off). I know Shure technology works and it will be worth it to me to listen to music that I enjoy rather than irritating outside noise.

http://www.shure.com/

Also, here is a discussion you might find interesting:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4447043#post4447043

As a pilot I've had a lot of experience with headsets, especially noise cancelling ones. We started using them about 10 years ago before they became commercially available to airline passengers. They are totally different of course, but I've also tried out many passenger noise canceling headsets for watching DVDs on those long Asia flights out of Lax and the best and most comfortable one I found was the Bose for $300. Overpriced in my opinion, but still the best. The important thing for wearing for long periods of time is that they don't pinch any part of your ear. They must go around it completely to be comfortable for long time spans. Hope that helps.

No need to bankrupt yourself: I just use the regular wee headphones that came with my iPod, mate. :up: If I know I'm going to be heading somewhere particularly noisy, before leaving my home, and after sticking the 'phones in my ears, I wrap an old tea towel or wool blanket around my head and secure it with a piece of twine (or an old necktie if I'm to be attending a formal occasion). :clown:

Hey presto ? sayonara background noise! :applause: Cheap, and certainly effective (though I bump into a lot of things and occasionally find myself mistaken in the street for a gentleman of Arabic or Pakistani extraction :().

Hope that's helpful. :)

jack :help:

those little foam wedges they give you on the plane seem to do it for me:

What they ( mfgrs) don't tell you about the true ( electronic) noise cancelling headsets is that they generate the sound out of phase and equal in volume to the surronding sounds. your eardrums get this, you don't preceive it as sound, but it makes your audio sensory system work overtime. ( feeling tired, headache, ect some times)

"What they ( mfgrs) don't tell you about the true ( electronic) noise cancelling headsets is that they generate the sound out of phase and equal in volume to the surronding sounds. your eardrums get this, you don't preceive it as sound, but it makes your audio sensory system work overtime. ( feeling tired, headache, ect some times) "

Shure headphone products are referred to as "Sound Isolating" and so I would think not subject to points made in your comments about "nosie cancelling headsets".

Also, Shure headphones can be used comfortably while active, exercising, for example.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived