Pattaya - Water Crisis - Gov't hiding truth

New Petchburi Pete

New Petchburi Pete said:

Is it time for the government to consider a desalinization plant or plants? Surely, something needs to be done if the supply of water is to keep pace with the rampant development. If nothing is done, how could the real estate boom ever be sustained? ::

Just my 1 baht worth but couldn't they set up a nuclear power plant to run a desal? These make water from seawater suckers gobble up HUGE amounts of energy. Sometime about drawing the salt out by running a electrical current thru the water.

Shit

" and, we were appalled to see where one small pumping operation had been set up ... a filthy mudhole. Small wonder residents and many laundromats are not able to properly wash their clothes"

How bad is the water coming out then ?? Took a girl out to Chantaburi last WE. Stayed in KP, the second best hotel around town and the most convenient to us. Water came out brownish from the shower and GF had some kind of infection in the vagina. Was afraid it was a STD but at the hospital in Chantaburi they said a lot of girls are getting it, a bacteria ("chua") and nothing to do with sexual intercourse. Seemed to be a hygiene problem and I suspect the quality of water has something to do with it . Reminds me the former girl I brought there had a similar problem. How widespread is that and how bad is the water?? Doesn't look good...

The water crisis is going actually far beyond Pattaya. The whole Eastern Seaboard is heavily affected - especially the Map Ta Phut Industry park with its water consuming steel, petrochemical and chemical industry. Map Ta Put only, accounts for 15% of Thailand?s GDP. If they have to curb their outputs, it will have an immense impact on the Thai economy. There is pipeline under construction but its completion has been postponed because some of Thaksin?s cronies haven?t received enough money. Now they are hurrying to complete it within November 2005 ? on Thaksin?s personal order. Typical case of TIT.

The newspapers don?t report on the crisis anymore, because of censorship. Thaksin himself declared that there is no crisis, because he is more than afraid of the negative impact on foreign investment, if the truth comes out. As I am currently working on a project in Map Ta Phut, I got first information that the crisis isn?t solved and still severe. If nothing changes, many factories have to reduce their outputs by 40%, which will have a tremendous impact on the GDP. Just go figure if the GDP drops by at least 7% within days.

The reason for the crisis isn?t a very dry season, but the total lack of water management. Heavily water consuming industries (3 Tons of water for 1 Ton of product) have been settled in Map Ta Phut, a region which is well known to be one of Thailand?s water poorest areas. Necessary pipelines and water management projects have been postponed for years due to growing corruption.

If the crisis is escalating, this can really get nasty for Thaksin

Map Ta Phut, a region which is well known to be one of Thailand?s water poorest areas. Necessary pipelines and water management projects have been postponed for years due to growing corruption. '

I wonder if corruption or just bad planning was why map ta phut was built up into an industrial area and not somewhere with more resources?

( and what rich family own the land that is being leased)

limbo said:

Pete, 40B f or such a bottle, if it's the same stuf, we pay 10B a bottle in Samui.........

I happen to get the same Amtech clear plastic bottles of water delivered to my condo, in Pattaya, as Pete does. I use it only as drinking water, needing about 3-bottles every 5-weeks. At one time I considered getting the 5-gallon (actual 17.9-liter) bottles of water that most Thai's get. You know, those opaque white plastic bottles. Well I've seen the bottling plant and how well they clean those bottles that are returned for refilling and re-delivery....and I immediately was convinced to get my water from Amtech!! So, I may pay a whole 60-70-Bt a month more than if I bought the 10-Bt white bottles water...but I drink knowing that the Amtech bottles never have soiled interiors.

Not related to the above, but surely contributing to the water shortage in Pattaya is the tremendous amount of construction of new hotels, condos and housing that has been taking place the last few years. Yet, no consideration has ever been made to the additional water needs these projects will require. Ahh, Thai foresight...is to contunually try to fix yesterday problems!

Archived