Patong raid ??

BlazingStarz

the Police accompanied by 25 or so "associates" in green camouflage raided Tai Pan and Dragon Friday night around 11:30pm. The bars were closed for a short while, while the Thai staff and local Thais were urine tested. No tourists were subjected to testing, and were free to leave at will. The bars were reopened after about 45 minutes. The continuing local Ya Ba problem was the reason given for the testing

Anyone know any more on this one ?

Yet another anti-drug crusade has started. I recall seeing some news reports about yet another campaign to (again) finally and completely eliminate drugs from Thailand. Because these announcements are becoming more routine, I suspect they get less press now. And after the government announces that the current campaign was a complete success, I am sure we will see yet another campaign 6 or 8 months from now.

Other than that, no information, but one comment: it is interesting how the MiB do urine tests on farangs in Bangkok, at least in places such as CM2, Q Bar and Bed, but not in Phuket or apparantly elsewhere. Is this because they don't want to create more trouble for Phuket's already troubled tourism industry? If so, it seems like an implicit admission that urine testing of farangs is bad for the tourism industry.

Incidentally, even though tourism is way below projections - so far off that Thailand would need at least a 20% increase over the last four months of last year to catch up - I saw a report in either today's or yesterday's Bangkok Post where the new Minister of Finance said he was absolutely certain that tourism figures would reach or exceed projections. I am sure some of the other old timers here will recall when this gentlemen last served as Minister of Finance.

Thanong Bidaya was finance minister in 1997; 2 weeks after he was appointed, he had to float the Baht which resulted in the Asian Finance Crisis.

he is an old buddy of Taksin, who helped him rescue his ailing business 20 years ago.

Exactly right. Isn't it reassuring to see him appointed to serve as Finance Minister again? And if he says everything is fine and tourism arrivals and revenue will meet or exceed projections, than I have no doubt that this will happen. That and everything else he says. ::

Archived