High Crime in Thailand

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it seems to be pretty common. Only four hours after i posted the last post I am now reading this:

Monday August 27, 2001 4:47 PM

Thai police are investigating the alleged rape of an Irish woman and a British woman on the holiday island of Koh Samui.

Full Story:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/UK/0,2478,1132637,00.html

This along with everything else that is happening is sure to have a negative effect on tourism. Lets hope the police don't try to blame this on farangs, like they did in Chiang Mai.

Roger

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

>The Thais are not smiling because they're such happy and fulfilled people, but because social convention demands it. Smiles are often employed as a pacifier, to ward off a potential aggressor. In their innermost selfs, Thais are often far from contented (not that I blame them for that), and the discrepancy between the inner self and the fact that they always have to put on a friendly face, leads to enormous tension - and this tension often seeks release in violence. So, in a way the smiles which are supposed to forestall aggression, are self-defeating, up to a point.

So..the Thais are not smiling because they're such happy and fulfilled people??

BULLSHIT.

You just can't generalise people like that!

Of course, they smile when they feel happy and fulfill just like anybody else. But they have other smiles as well. For example, instead of saying "How are you" in the morning greeting to everybody, say, in the office, they use their smile for greeting.

Want to see "Non-smile Thais"?? There are plenty in my office!

>Ever pondered why many Thais like to look a those horrific crime magazines (with pictures

of bloodied, battered corpses etc.)? In my humble opinion, it's their way of coping with their latent aggression, a kind of catharsis - there's a lot of tension and aggression within, but not everyone dares commit a violent act or crime to release it; so looking at the results of the violent deeds of others helps letting off some of pent-up steam.

And after all of this, the crime rate in Thailand is still high !!!

>So much for my layman's psychoanalysis. Now back to the blowjob page ...

Please do so. I'm sure you'll have plenty to contribute to the topic !!

Originally posted by BkkShaggy:

">So much for my layman's psychoanalysis. Now back to the blowjob page ...

Please do so. I'm sure you'll have plenty to contribute to the topic !!"

Actually, the latter sentence was tongue-in-cheek, but maybe my tongue is too short so it didn't get noticed.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

about three weeks ago five cops raped a 22 year old cousin of my wife in the prison cell. one of the cops was the head of the police station in her village. she was arrested for the major offence of being cought playing cards. her husband could not pay the fine.

she was then released under threats against her life if she makes an official complaint.

another everyday occurance.

Be sure to give us an update on this report. You ended your message with the comment "another everyday occurrance", but in this case everyone knows each other and I would have to doubt that this is the end of the story.

condomking,

unfortunately, that is the end of the story so far.

the girl told my old lady that she prefers to forget the whole thing, her husband is down, blames himself, but cannot do anything. in a year or two these cops will be transferred to some other police station, new cops will come. business as usual.

another cousin of my old lady sits right now in prison because a cop planted some pills on him on a raid against playing cards. he admitted to regularly smoking amphetamines (everybody does it there, somehow the only way to cope with life for them), but not ever carrying it. right now it is still hanging as they are still trying to figure out which fingerprints are on the plastic, the cop's or also his. i know the cop, he is a true lowlife, big and brutal, feared and hated in the whole village.

actually, most people like it when outside cops are doing the raids, because then, when cought, you will be brought straight to the provincial prison and not the local police jail.

the powerstructure there in the village is such that families like the one of my old lady have no way of ever succeeding against the authorities. either you are part of the puyai ban's gang, which means that only outside police can touch you, or you are nothing.

"muang thai muang jim!? yiangdiaow don ni lao mai mee alai jim laeow." an unemployed cousin husband said recently. he finished university, had a nice job in bangkok, two cars, nearly finished paying up an apartment in bangkok. now he's back in the village, the last car is a wreck barely functioning. works as a farmlabor when the occasional job comes up, addicted to amphetamines like everybody else.

the only positive thing i see there is that people start discussing about politics again.

interesting times ahead...

thinking about Fly's post, and not so much relating to his story, but as long as thai people accept the old ways of graft and corruption,Thailand will stay what it is: a 3rd world country. You've got farmer activists camping in front of the parliament for months, but no mouvements in the villages to correct inequalities. The fact is, the only support system they know is the family, not the nation, faith in progress, democracy, unions or else. 19th ct.rural attitudes in the 21st century. We can't do their revolution for them.

Originally posted by pattaya127:

"You've got farmer activists camping in front of the parliament for months, but no mouvements in the villages to correct inequalities."

I have a strong suspicion that these farmers, who you could see almost non-stop near the Parliament during the Democrat rule, were bankrolled by vested interests (TRT?? - I wouldn't be surprised).

Archived