High Crime in Thailand

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by CondomKing:

To Flyonzewall -- "muang thai muang jim!? yiangdiaow don ni lao mai mee alai jim laeow." Translation please.

Well, sounds pretty bleak where you live, I think if I had the misfortune of being born there, I wouldn't go near a deck of playing cards.

it means: "thailand, the land of smiles?! only that we don't have anything to smile about anymore."

i am not living there, it is my wife's village. we go there regularly, last months twice.

bleak? hell, yes.

if i would have had the misfortune of having been born there, i would be a speed head as well.

or, if i would have been born a few years earlier, i would have taken the gun and went into the djungle like so many did.

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

I have a strong suspicion that these farmers, who you could see almost non-stop near the Parliament during the Democrat rule, were bankrolled by vested interests (TRT?? - I wouldn't be surprised).[/QB]

i asked once the famous sanitsuda ekachai why all the NGO's mainly operate in isaarn and not in the lower north. she said it is because isaarn people were nicer.

than she went on lecturing on how village people should live in an idealistic state of subsistence farming forever and the bad western influence.

i lost all my former respect for her in that conversation.

bad western influence? As long as we bring money for development, hospitals and the grey matter for the cottage industries (1), we are wanted, but anything else should be checked at the border. I bet she (her kind) even had grants from western universities to educate herself in the science of "poor people exploited by the greedy/lusty occident". Biting the hand that feeds you... the fact is, for bad or good, thai scholars like her are way out of the mainstream of thai society, and for most Issan farmers, might as well be born in the west.let's agree, we recognize that PC attitude: purely occidental: Welcome home, Mrs Ekachai, but i'll stick to Ekamai (BKK-Pattaya, youpie!!).

(1) anyone who has read J.thompson's bio will remember he was not always in the guide books as a hero of silk farming. his success attracted a lot of jealousy and he almost ended up in jail for it. Then, he died mysteriously...

Archived