Buddhist monks not so peace lovin

Nervous_Dog

Today sPost

CRIME OF PASSION / CLERICAL DISCORD

Novices' old rivalry over girl ends in bloody market brawl

Nakhon Ratchasima _ Ten novices and three monks engaged in a machete-wielding brawl on Monday sparked by an old rivalry over a girl.

Police are preparing to issue arrest warrants in the case on charges of bodily assault and carrying weapons in public.

Pol Capt Cheewin Kasikam, duty officer of Phimai district police station, said Wichai Khaophimai, 17, a novice at Wat Ban Sanun in tambon Tha Luang, went shopping on Monday at a district market.

While there he happened to meet Chamlong Ornsiri, 19, a novice at Wat Ban Taban in tambon Rangka Yai.

The two were old rivals. They had fallen for the same girl before being ordained.

Novice Chamlong, on seeing his rival, charged at him and hit him in the face.

Novice Wichai went back to Wat Sanun, where he gathered together three monks and another nine novices.

They then armed themselves with four machetes and went to Wat Ban Taban in a pick-up truck.

At Wat Ban Taban, they saw Novice Chamlong and Ekachai Jomputra, 17, another novice.

The group from Wat Sanun immediately attacked them.

Novice Ekachai was hit on the back with a machete and suffered a deep gash, Pol Capt Cheewin said.

Novice Ekachai lodged a complaint with police, who yesterday decided to arrest his alleged assailants and charge them with bodily assault and carrying weapons in public.

Guest lazyphil

Yeah, that twat can grow up too....who is he again? ::...btw just get rid of the leaders of religion, not the religion please....i'm looking forward to christmas, lots of prezzys :D

Holy Hell! You gotta love it...

I tell you, not a dull monent out there (from a safe distance :(), and just as I say, one day one thing, the other, another, same subject.

That reminds me of a thai movie made in 97, "a la Pulp fiction". A gang member turns into religion, its former acolytes come to wreak havoc in his village the day of his ordination. And he dies.

there's another script (or contest story).

To ELEF and the ones who think that the religion made them do it ( ::):

Though I think if they were fully ordained monks, the story would get a real punch (Wow!!!), these guys were just novices. They do it because it's nice to do it, for your parents, whatever, not because they intend to follow the Dharma, and for less and less time than before.

Thanks, ND, for dishing that one.

So no one has heard of the religious wars of Europe? The Prods and Catholics were going at it great guns for a while, killing each other off in huge numbers. Then they decided to put aside their religious differences and just kill each other off for speaking different languages instead.

Note in the above report that "novice" means the teens were too young to be fully ordained as a monk. They were sort of semi-monks. The three actual monks presumably were of legal age.

Still, in most temples you will find that the "real monks" -- who make it their life devotion -- live apart from the "temporaries" who are just spending a few weeks or months wearing the robes to please their parents. When I lived up country, I knew a young novice who got his girlfriend pregnant WHILE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN CELIBATE AND NOT EVEN TOUCHING A WOMAN. The gal's parents went to the abbot, who immediately defrocked the so-called monk prior to his shotgun wedding.

Archived