Should we move our population centres inland ?

gobbledonk

Guest lazyphil

I know exactly what he was saying!! ...I just never heard of any settlements off Devon, Dorset or Cornwall. Although I'm not the Yoda on ruins (or bkk :()

As to the original question, I dont think a good idea, I mean, some inland areas suffer bush fires, avalanches, earthquakes, droughts, floods etc....we'll end up just playing musical cities trying to avoid disasters!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lazyphil said:

I know exactly what he was saying!! ...I just never heard of any settlements off Devon, Dorset or Cornwall. Although I'm not the Yoda on ruins (or bkk :()

As to the original question, I dont think a good idea, I mean, some inland areas suffer bush fires, avalanches, earthquakes, droughts, floods etc....we'll end up just playing musical cities trying to avoid disasters!

Well I just posted that because I thought Flasher had a good point and the links were interesting. I'm interested in pre-history and I didn't think your comments about Avebury were off topic either.

Of course none of this helps the poor people of New Orleans much. :( There are half empty towns all across the US but would they want to live in the middle of Kansas? Or Idaho?

Guest lazyphil

Sandwiches at Avebury ARE off topic!

The more I watch the New Orleans disaster unravel the hopeless it appears, unimaginable horrors for them :(...i saw some get shuttled up to Utah, from the 'Big Easy' to Weirdoville, Utah!!

lazyphil said:

Sandwiches at Avebury ARE off topic!

The more I watch the New Orleans disaster unravel the hopeless it appears, unimaginable horrors for them :(...i saw some get shuttled up to Utah, from the 'Big Easy' to Weirdoville, Utah!!

Yes I saw that too. Can't find the link. A bunch were shoved on a plane and nobody would tell them where they were headed. To be fair there are worse places than Utah.

Seems like firefighters are mainly needed for handing out flyers and photo-ops...

"There are all of these guys with all of this training and we're sending them out to hand out a phone number," an Oregon firefighter said. "They [the hurricane victims] are screaming for help and this day [of FEMA training] was a waste."

Firefighters say they want to brave the heat, the debris-littered roads, the poisonous cottonmouth snakes and fire ants and travel into pockets of Louisiana where many people have yet to receive emergency aid.

But as specific orders began arriving to the firefighters in Atlanta, a team of 50 Monday morning quickly was ushered onto a flight headed for Louisiana. The crew's first assignment: to stand beside President Bush as he tours devastated areas.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3004197

'There was a land bridge connecting Europe and Britain at some time'

over many Centuries the Continents have shifted in great ways.

Antartica was once tropical and the North Pole was once situated in Canada.

if you look at Africa and S.America you can see simalarities in the Coastline which indicates that they parted.

i live in a Coastal City and at Sea Level but i imagine not much of a threat.

no natural disasters have ever happened in my area and i don't think they ever will.

but we do have an Island roughly the size of Pkuket (in Sq. Miles) and that protects the Coastline.

and the Island is another example of land moving over the Centuries as again it's profile fits the mainland exactly.

but my City has had a Community since before Roman times and the Romans started a City when they invaded the UK.

my City has the 2nd largest area of water in the UK for a port.

a natural place to have a Fleet and build Ships and for over 2000 Years was the main place in the UK for the Navy.

but thankfully i live 5 Miles from the Sea and behind a large chalk cliff which rises 300 Yards from Sea Level,so i think i would be safe.

after the Tsunami in Thailand i looked at my City and thooght what would happen if the same thing happened.

i don't think much of a problem,Shoreline is 500 Yards from the nearest buildings and while a litlte damage would be obvious,it would not be as devasting as what has happened in the last Year.

Everybody talks about global warming. I suppose theoretically if the ice-caps melted a lot of land would be underwater.

As for New Orleans I'm beginning to think it wasn't a very smart place to build a city. The French Quarter seems to have survived OK and I expect tourists will always want to go there. But those suburbs were a disaster waiting to happen. Hard to imagine anybody wanting to go through something like this again but maybe some of them have no choice.

lazyphil said:

This could happen in bkk I suppose, similar geography??

I guess. Or Saigon. I've seen very heavy flooding in Manila and Bangkok....usually drains off in a day or two. The water in New Orleans is getting filthy and has to be pumped out. That's why they want the people out.

New Orleans' importance as a major sea port.

New Orleans: A Geopolitical Prize

By George Friedman

September 01, 2005 22 30 GMT -- The American political system was founded in Philadelphia, but the American nation was built on the vast farmlands that stretch from the Alleghenies to the Rockies. That farmland produced the wealth that funded American industrialization: It permitted the formation of a class of small landholders who, amazingly, could produce more than they could consume. They could sell their excess crops in the east and in Europe and save that money, which eventually became the founding capital of American industry.

But it was not the extraordinary land nor the farmers and ranchers who alone set the process in motion. Rather, it was geography -- the extraordinary system of rivers that flowed through the Midwest and allowed them to ship their surplus to the rest of the world. All of the rivers flowed into one -- the Mississippi -- and the Mississippi flowed to the ports in and around one city: New Orleans. It was in New Orleans that the barges from upstream were unloaded and their cargos stored, sold and reloaded on ocean-going vessels. Until last Sunday, New Orleans was, in many ways, the pivot of the American economy.

http://www.stratfor.com/news/archive/050903-geopolitics_katrina.php

Archived