Name question

stumpy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by noo6:

"I knew you'd have the answer for that!

I enjoy your posts."

Thanks a lot, but I even sometimes need linguistic help, especially when it comes to literary Thai.

Now, as I think you're Thai, maybe you can help me out on this one (any other pundit out there is of course also welcome):

What is the meaning of the -kien in Ramakien? I know the spelling is different from the kien which means "to write".

Could it be the Thai version of Sanskrit "gyana" (wisdom, knowledge)? That would be my interpretation at least.

Thanks in advance, SB.

Hi Noo,

Just starting to learn to read/write ไทย.I get very confused over the english vowel 'a' and 'u'. You spell Khun Scum คุฌ สคัม. Would it be equally correct to spell it คุฌ สคุม or am I way off beam here?? Your opinion would be valued.

Cheers Hall

quote:

Originally posted by hall:

Just starting to learn to read/write ?<sum>¬.I get very confused over the english vowel 'a' and 'u'. You spell Khun Scum §ÿ¨  §?¡. Would it be equally correct to spell it §ÿ¨  §ÿ¡ or am I way off beam here?? Your opinion would be valued.

Hi hall

I'm just a confused beginner so others can correct me.

I think noo6 uses the "a" (like alive) because the "u" in Scum is pronounced like the Thai "a" and not "oo" (like look). Oh the vagaries of the English language!

Or does the great Professor prefer to go by more Latin "skoom" (short oo)?

On a vaguely related note, should one end Thai transcription of the name "Michael" with "LU" since just an "L" would result in "Maiken"?

Ciao!

micsnee

EDIT - Sorry for messing up hall's Thai in the quoted section above. They came out in Thai script in the browser.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: micsnee ]

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: micsnee ]

Michael alsways becomes something like "Mai-khan" Live with it. cool.gif" border="0

Thai just doesn't have words that end in L. Funny thing is that many people can't even pronounce an L at the end of a word without serious practise. smile.gif" border="0

"Mike" is not the answer eather because that will inevitably become "Mai".

Mickey would work though. Trouble is the last syllable "key" would sound like "shit".

So overal "Mai-khan" isn't all that bad. smile.gif" border="0

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi Chanchao

Thanks for the insight. frown.gif" border="0

Maybe I ought to try putting the silent mark above the "L" and transform into a MAI-KE. Seems cooler than MAI-KAN". cool.gif" border="0

Ciao!

micsnee

Archived