Meeting/Greeting my GF's Parents :-)

sidsanuk

I always think the old food basket is always a winner.

Go to the supermarket and they always have a food basket section where they'll make you up a great looking basket complete with a ribbon for about 600-1000 baht.

It's something that every member of the family can enjoy, and at the end of the day - it's the thought that counts! and Thais know that as much as anyone.

Don't spend big money - you'll get the same reaction whatever it is.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

I always think the old food basket is always a winner.

Go to the supermarket and they always have a food basket section where they'll make you up a great looking basket complete with a ribbon for about 600-1000 baht.

It's something that every member of the family can enjoy, and at the end of the day - it's the thought that counts! and Thais know that as much as anyone.

Don't spend big money - you'll get the same reaction whatever it is.

Good idea. Thanks. Just want to make sure I do not go over the top and embarass anyone, or equally look like a cheal charlie. Have to say I am really looking forward to meeting them. This will be my first time in a Thai home, as all my trips are usually business.

My GF laughingly warned me that we will be sitting on the floor to eat dinner :-)

Thanks

Sid

Hi Sid

First off, big congrats on the upcoming nuptials! Live long and prosper!

Phil's suggestion of the gift basket was spot on. However, check the contents of the basket to make sure they are appropriate.If you don't see one that you like it is perfectly OK to gather a collection of items from the supermarket's shelves and have them 'made up' into a fancy basket. Just shop for the items and pay for them at the checkout as you normally would, then take them back to the basket 'station' and pay the additional fee for basket, ribbons, sellophane etc.

I did this for my g/f's mum when I knew she was laid up with an illness. I knew from my g/f what Khun Mae actually liked and disliked and was thus able to 'tailor' a basket to her specific likes. Earned me much good karma and many brownie points with the whole family. Farang nam jai mak luey!

Also, don't be surprised if any gift you make is received with a seeming indifference bordering on contempt. It's the Thai style to receive any gift in a very low key way.

The number of birthdays where I've bought expensive, thoughtful and/or imaginative gifts for my g/f only to have the said gift received with a wai of thanks and quietly put to one side to be opened later. This after I've spent days considering what to buy, where to buy it and having it beautifully wrapped! Far removed from the usual western scene of flying gift wrap, ribbons and packing tissue followed by effusive and enthusiastic squeals of delight and hugs of gratitude.

Don't get me wrong, your gifts will be very much appreciated and your generosity will be returned manifold - just don't expect a big song and dance!

Arai wa

I know what you are going through mate! The future Mrs Groover is keen for me to meet the parents in their environment too - I met mum in Dubai last year but have yet to meet them in their manor.

I have been well versed in what to say - and as long as I get the pronunciation of "I would be honoured if I could have your daughter's hand in mariage, Khuan Phor" then I will have done well!

Yep, she has me practicing it all the time - you never know fellahs, I might be rounding you up for a Stag Night in Bangkok next year!

Groover

• 3 weeks later...

Meeting the potential in laws!

Just an update guys. Thanks for all the advice :-)

The big event happened and went really well. Khun Sid behaved himself and did all the right things and my GFs family were a delight. Including the constant parade of cousins through the house to see the GFs boyfriend :-)

The present thing was interesting. I actually went a bit over board and bought a present for each family member. Not too expensive..about 500 baht each.

I was expecting the usual non event. eg put the present aside till later. No way Jose :-) Paper flying everywhere and lots of smiles :-)

We all made a bit hit with each other and I have promised to drop in each time I visit.

I just need to practice sitting on the floor to eat dinner, my legs were killing me :-))

Sid

• 1 month later...

Archived