Travel insurance, to buy or not to buy?

monkey39

What's your opinon on travel insurance? I've been to BKK about 3 times now and never felt like I needed it before, but I'm starting to get paranoid about falling ill while in country. Last trip out, I got a fever and a nasty throat infection (maybe I 'ate' the wrong thing? ::) that knocked me on my ass for a couple of days. I'm usually only able to visit for about 2 weeks at a time, so not sure if I need it, or if it's worth it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes yes and yes....

Not just if you get sick,can be for carrier caused delays,lost luggage,cameras ,rings,meals and accommodation if held over etc etc.

I had a client a while back going to Washington to visit his sister,didnt want travel insurance after telling him examples of what could happen if you need to go to hospital overseas...he ended up buying the cover...

Some credit cards have built in insurance but you need to read the fine print...you still will need some cover to be safe..imho.

Dont leave home without it!!!

I've never felt like I needed it either, but it doesn't cost much, and I'd mainly be worried about a major health problem.

The cover I use doesn't cover much $$ worth of valuables, as I never take much with me, it does however cover the cost of flying me home, and if necessary medics to travel with me. Imagine if you had to be flown home AND needed medical attention during the flight, the cost of 3+ tickets (first class) return for the medics, can all add up.

Worst case scenario cover, all for less than the price of a big night out, no contest IMO.

Ask me a year ago and I would say no need. But now, as you might know I have gotten unwell but luckily I was covered by a travel insurance. Otherwise it would have been (and still be) an expensive story for me. So my advice is, yes, better safe than broke and sorry.

As i go in the other direction I don't have to put up with Thai insurance cmpanies. Here it is no hassle at all. I just have to make a phone call. If I am away less than 45 days I don't even have to do that as my home insurance covers travel for the first 45 days. Anyway I am surprised to hear that my parents birth country is like this. I have always heard that Canada has the best social security system in the world. In Sweden a hospital is obliged by law to take care of anyone tha comes there and sort out the payment afterwords.

As i go in the other direction I don't have to put up with Thai insurance companies. Here it is no hassle at all. I just have to make a phone call. If I am away less than 45 days I don't even have to do that as my home insurance covers travel for the first 45 days. Anyway I am surprised to hear that my parents birth country is like this. I have always heard that Canada has the best social security system in the world. In Sweden a hospital is obliged by law to take care of anyone tha comes there and sort out the payment afterwords.

I buy a policy from TRAVELEX that covers me for unlimited multiple journeys for one year; cost was about US$180.

Emergency medical coverage is $50,000, evacuation $100,000. I did some research and the issuer is quite highly rated.

The policy does not cover property losses or travel issues.

Archived