Travel insurance, to buy or not to buy?

monkey39

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dddave said:

I buy a policy from TRAVELEX that covers me for unlimited multiple journeys for one year; cost was about US$180.

Emergency medical coverage is $50,000, evacuation $100,000. I did some research and the issuer is quite highly rated.

The policy does not cover property losses or travel issues.

Yep, that's the way to go, I pay 140 euro at Europ Assistance, medical coverage is for 1.250.000 euros.

I once had a Bumrungrad hospital bill of 250.000 baht paid by them.

Do you need one?

You're an idiot if you travel withouth.

Had a friend of mine, now a professional dancer, who went skiiing in Swizerland.

First time ever, natural sportsperson, put into the intermiadiate class.

15 minutes later two legs broken in about 15 places, total disaster, two huge metal plates in her legs, 6 weeks in swizz hspitals, airlifted in a helicopter of the snowfields (that alone was $15 000)

In the end over $100K of problems.

All covered by a few hundred dollar travel insurance.

Moral of the story?

There are no snow fields on sukhumvit, you dont need it.

Joking - you could get hit by a truck, whatever

Better safe then sorry

DOG

First time ever, natural sportsperson, put into the intermiadiate class.

15 minutes later two legs broken in about 15 places, total disaster, two huge metal plates in her legs, 6 weeks in swizz hspitals, airlifted in a helicopter of the snowfields (that alone was $15 000)

Exactly the same thing happened to a good friend of mine, snowboarding at Innsbruk.

Guest lazyphil

My parents flipped out when after living in LOS 1 year, with a trip to Cambo and Malayasia I had no insurance, it was incredibly stupid and they were rightly angy as they would have had to pay any fees had I had needed them and they dont have spare cash for this, it never occured to me to take any insurance!!. Never again.

My insurance ran out for one day in LOS my 2nd trip... I was away for exactly one year and had a 1 year policy, but I missed the plane on that last day, as they changed the schedule (good idea to reconfirm guys, even when TG tell you not to bother!). No probs, TG put me on the plane a day later, but my mind started playing tricks on me (thanks to a phone call to my mother), and I didn't leave the hotel!

thalenoi said:
dddave said:

I buy a policy from TRAVELEX that covers me for unlimited multiple journeys for one year; cost was about US$180.

Emergency medical coverage is $50,000, evacuation $100,000. I did some research and the issuer is quite highly rated.

The policy does not cover property losses or travel issues.

Yep, that's the way to go, I pay 140 euro at Europ Assistance, medical coverage is for 1.250.000 euros.

I once had a Bumrungrad hospital bill of 250.000 baht paid by them.

Do you need one?

You're an idiot if you travel withouth.

Only idiots have no travel insurance.

I have the same insurance, pay exactly the same, but it covers BOTH of us.

BB

Guest lazyphil

BKK warriors like me dont take out insurance, live fast die young and bankrupt your parents :: and I bet you wear one of those crash helmets that look like a loaf of bread thats been strategically scooped out to look like a crash helmet when you ride your bike too :: they look about as effective as a mud flap on a tortoise.

Archived