How to reduce size of pics to upload to Gallery?

Torneyboy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pending on hat photo program you use, you can reduce the size of the picture.

The ones i post are really small, you can still view them fairly good, but it also savea a lot of space on the bandwith/server (not sure where actually) but anyhow, you get to post more pix.

Once you tell us what program you use, I'm sure somebody here can explain to you how to reduce the size of the pic.

In the emantime, wait for KS to approve the pics. If hte size of the pix would've been to big, I think the program would've told you.

TB,

I use XnView. When I want to put pics on the web (rarely) or send pics via email I have to reduce the size of the pics (actually create a smaller copy).

998KB is a bit much I'd say. There are still people on dial-up, they'd have a hard time viewing your pics.

carlton

Guest lazyphil

Open with 'paint' click image at top, go to stretch and scew, then where it says stretch put in 50% in both horizontal and vertical and save as, should reduce it enouigh, just play with percentages till size u require, works for me ok.

There are a couple of things to take into consideration when reducing photos for publication on the web. First is the actual size the photo displays at, this is measured in pixels, a good size to aim for is a postcard type size, which would be around 400 x 600 pixels. Once this has been done you need to adresse the file type you wish to save the image in, generally a graphic or text image is best saved as a gif file, and a photo is best saved as a jpeg. Once this is decided the image needs to be compressed or optimised to an acceptable file size, most of the photo processing software packages will do this for you automatically, jpegs usually save to a smaller file size than gif but they can lack definition. You really need a good software program to do this. Suitable ones include, but are not limited to, Photoshop, Photo Impact and Fireworks. Personally I favour Fireworks and will happily explain 'how to' with this program to anyone interested.

Archived