Can't and Beautiful

luckyfarang

On the Phrase of the day thread, I agree with Dan's final post that MAI(f) DAI(f) means "did not" when used before a verb, and "cannot" when used after a verb. But "can't" also takes two other forms in Thai.

WAI(f) NAM(h) MAI(f) DAI(f) - "I can't swim" (for some reason, don't have time, don't have permission, etc.)

WAI(f) NAM(h) MAI(f) PEN - "I can't swim" because I never learned, don't know how

WAI(f) NAM(h) MAI(f) WAI® "I can't swim" because I am too exhausted, or not strong enough

Similarly the word beautiful has several possible translations:

SUAI® "beautiful" in appearance, to look at

PRAW!(h) "beautiful" sound, music, voice, etc.

HAWM® Literally "fragrant", must be used when describing any lovely aroma, smell, or fragrance

Hi.....

'na-rak' doesn't necessarily mean 'beautiful'. Children are narak, animals can be narak. The closest translation is 'cute' I think.

Compounding the prefix น่า 'na' (falling tone) onto the front of a verb turns it into an adjective and adds the meaning of being 'worthy' of the action of the verb.

So... na-rak then can be taken to mean 'worthy of love' . It often works pretty much the same as the English suffix -able, loveable, liveable etc...

Some other examples of prefix 'na' adjectives that you may have heard...

na-gliat (ugly) - worthy of hate.

na-gin (very edible) worthy of eating.

na-sonjai (interesting) worthy of caring.

na-glooa (scary) worthy of fear.

na-doo (pleasing to the eye) worthy of looking

na-beua (boring) worthy of boredom.

na-yoo (liveabe) worthy of living/staying. Some might say that Bangkok is 'na-yoo' - a good place to live.

================================

Cheers,

Dan

At the risk of someone making fun of my lousy Thai again, I'll post another synonym for beautiful. That would be:

'la-aw'

Not sure of the tones here which makes me think they're probably midtone syllables. And before anyone flames me, I know the word is Khmen but I've come to suspect that it also has a place in either formal, written or older Thai. I'm not sure exactly of the connection (but sure would like a clarification from someone like Scum_Baggio if they know).

I do know that it appears to be universally understood, of course that might mean I'm hanging with too many Issan girls. tongue.gif" border="0

Lamock Ch.,

do you mean "law"? That means handsome or good-looking and is only used with men. If you use it with a women, you'll reap a storm of laughter!

"Na-rak" actually means "lovable" (just like "na-gliet" literally is "hateable") and it's no synonym for "suay". It's rather one or two steps below beautiful - if you call someone "na-rak", it means he/she is very nice and pleasant, but not necessarily a very good looker. Often Thais evade the question if someone is beautiful by answering he/she is "na-rak"; i.e. not beautiful, but they don't want to be too rude.

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

At the risk of someone making fun of my lousy Thai again, I'll post another synonym for beautiful. That would be:

'la-aw'

Not sure of the tones here which makes me think they're probably midtone syllables. And before anyone flames me, I know the word is Khmen but I've come to suspect that it also has a place in either formal, written or older Thai. I'm not sure exactly of the connection (but sure would like a clarification from someone like Scum_Baggio if they know).

I do know that it appears to be universally understood, of course that might mean I'm hanging with too many Issan girls.
tongue.gif" border="0

What makes you think this word is Khmer? And what is the connection to Issan? Formal, written or older thai?

The word "Law" for handsome is generally used all over Thailand this very day in everyday language.

Archived