Can't and Beautiful

luckyfarang

I don't believe 'law' and 'la-aw' are the same word (the latter has two distinct syllables). My g/f says it is Khmen (her regional dialect) but as I've said, I've had recent indications it may also be an older or high-Thai kind of word.

Now that use of 'na-rak' has been clarified, it should also be noted that you can say:

'su-ay na-rak'

to make an even sweeter compliment.

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

Khmer has many "Thai" sounding words in it. Waen Ta is in common use --Spectacles, panha--bpanha, problem.

Even something as common as counting, when you get to 30 Khmer uses "sarm sub" almost the same as sarm sip. See sub, ha sub etc... followed by the khmer lower number. ie sarmsub-moy, sarmsub-bee, sarmsub-bai, sarmsub-bouen, sarmsub-brahm etc..

100 is moy roy

1000 is moy pahn

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

I don't believe 'law' and 'la-aw' are the same word (the latter has two distinct syllables). My g/f says it is Khmen (her regional dialect) but as I've said, I've had recent indications it may also be an older or high-Thai kind of word.

Now that use of 'na-rak' has been clarified, it should also be noted that you can say:

'su-ay na-rak'

to make an even sweeter compliment.

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

you are correct: la aw (second syllabe pronounced like o ang) means beautiful in khamen

niang la aw (you are beautiful)

quote:

Originally posted by samak:

you are correct: la aw (second syllabe pronounced like o ang) means beautiful in khamen

niang la aw (you are beautiful)

I had no idea. I stand corrected. smile.gif" border="0

Another word for beautiful in thai is Ngarm as in Naang Ngarm, the beauty queen.

Although Ngarm is less used and broader in meaning. But I get to hear a used commonly in the Isarn.

Archived