Butterfly N. - to Butterfly vb.

Pescator

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

[QB]Just checked it in my dictionary. Sorry that I didn`t believe you at first. smile.gif" border="0

And it actually did say that it can be used as "third person singular pronoun,used when referring to a lady, rarely to a man" It is slang, colloguial or vulgar language though.

Yo Snake Man -

You need to hold up on the vulgar reference for "ter". I would be willing to bet money it is not, after having heard used in music, text, and conversation by native Thais. Vulgar? Don't think so, bro'.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by pjacktpa:

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

[QB]Just checked it in my dictionary. Sorry that I didn`t believe you at first.
smile.gif" border="0

And it actually did say that it can be used as "third person singular pronoun,used when referring to a lady, rarely to a man" It is slang, colloguial or vulgar language though.

Yo Snake Man -

You need to hold up on the vulgar reference for "ter". I would be willing to bet money it is not, after having heard used in music, text, and conversation by native Thais. Vulgar? Don't think so, bro'.

"Ter" is by no means vulgar when used to mean "You". And this is probably what you have overheard.

However, when used as and I quote the dictionary: ""third person singular pronoun,used when referring to a lady, rarely to a man. It is slang, colloguial or vulgar language though"

Think again and see if you have ever heard it with this particular meaning.

Still thing so bro' smile.gif" border="0

Yo Snake -

What got me trippin' about your post was how your dictionary linked 'ter' with vulgarity. It struck me as more than odd, because I've heard the word used quite lovingly in song.

But check this out - vulgarity does not necessarily mean crude, indecent or obscene! Nope, according to The Webster Reference Dictionary, vulgar can also mean, "pertaining to the common people, or the multitude; plebian; popular or current; expressed in the language of the common people, or vernacular; ordinary, or deficient in distinction".

But wait, there's more.

The origins of the word come from the French, vulgaire, and Latin, vulgaris. Vulgar Latin was Latin used by the common people of ancient Rome and from which developed the Romance Languages, as opposed to the literary language of the time.

Vulgate, the past participle of vulgare, means common, ordinary, spread among the multitude; or common use, as in a vulgate text or version.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That softens it up just a tad, and makes it all clear to me now. "I see", said the blind man. Sorry I jumped your shit.

This language forum is pretty cool, y'know. I hope to share everything I know with the other posters, and learn new things in return. I've studied Thai for 11 years now, here in America.

The funny thing about us westerners talking about Thai language, one gets the impression it's a case of the blind leading the ignorant. Seems like no one's ultimately sure about exact usage, but we're all we have, I guess. I found out years ago it's best to just pick up Thai on your own, and learn from your own mistakes, rather than asking native Thais to play teacher.

Archived