Butterfly N. - to Butterfly vb.

Pescator

quote:

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

Well, Nork Jai can hardly be a verb, so how can you translate cheating into Nork Jai?

I once heard somebody use the expression "Nak Laeng Puu Ying" for womanizer though.

even in english cheating can be adjective or am i wrong (i am not native english speaker)?

nak leng phuu ying is another word for womanizer. nak leng can be used for many meanings. for example a nak leng lao is a big drinker

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

NAWK JAI ( นอกใจ ) can, I think you'll find, be used as a verb. Here's an example I came across:

สามีของเล็กนอกใจเธอ

Which translates roughly as:

Lek's husband was unfaithful to her.

smile.gif" border="0

All right, it`s just that I have never heard that expression used that way before. However, the translation of the above doesn`t read "Lek`s husband was unfaithful to her" but "to you". smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Yes, I guess the sentence is a bit ambiguous but I think you'll find เธอ can mean 'she' or 'her' in addition to 'you'.

smile.gif" border="0

Just checked it in my dictionary. Sorry that I didn`t believe you at first. smile.gif" border="0

And it actually did say that it can be used as "third person singular pronoun,used when referring to a lady, rarely to a man" It is slang, colloguial or vulgar language though.

Well, I get to learn every day, but that is what this board is for I guess.

สามีของเล็กนอกใจเธอ:

SA-MEE (long, rising - long, mid) KHAWNG (long, rising) LEK (short, high) NAWK (long, falling) JAI (short, mid) THUR (long, mid).

P.S. thought your recent post on the word 'can' - mai dai, mai pen, mai wai was very useful.

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Yes, thur can be used in the third person as well as in the second person. One reference book I have describes its meaning as "respected but younger or female third person".

nookjai (นอกใจ ) is a verb, you would have to

put garn (การ ) in front of it to convert it to a noun (garn nook jai)

jaochoo (เจ้าชู้ ) = playboy

but, "choo" (ชู้ ) on it's own is the second lover of a woman often a kept younger boy, very common for thai prostitutes to have a young boyfriend often mistaken for a pimp.

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: noo6 ]

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: noo6 ]

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: noo6 ]

Archived