TIT! We can't teach English correctly, so let's...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS, willing to bet that student graduated from a private university. There is a student downstairs in my apartment building who is a 3rd year English major at a big private uni. I have to speak Thai to her!

It takes very high marks on the nationwide university entrance exam to get into the top government unis, say minumum 94%. In Bangkok, the tops are clearly Chula, Thammasat and Mahidol, with Kasetsart following behind them. Chula's English majors I have met have all been very fluent, not surprising since it takes a score of about 98% to get in to Chula. At Thammasat they may even be better, since only 70 students can major in English each year -- chosen by a competitive exam. (At Chula any student in the Liberal Arts faculty can opt for English and there will be 200 or so majors per year.) Those I've met from Mahidol have been quite good, those at Kaset too.

Other than these, however, English majors' ability can very greatly -- especially in the provinces. But I have yet to meet an English major from any government university who couldn't at least carry on a simple English conversation. Even those who have toughed it out and made it through Ramkhamhaeng can do so. (Ram is easy to enter, hard to graduate from!)

But I've met English majors from private unis who cannot speak the language. Apparently, they have few conversation classes and those they have are simply too big, say 40 plus students in them. I've had discussions about this with Thai ajarns. They have all said that a student would be better off going to Ramkhamhaeng than the private unis. At least at Ram you have to meet the minimum standards to get your degree. A Farang ajarn at a well known private uni told me he was not allowed to fail any students, no matter how badly they did on their exams.

:dunno:

Archived