"farang lao"

sanukdee

A Thai girl, e-mail pal of mine sent me some rather provocative pictures of a Miss Hong Kong beauty contest. The Chinese ladies are dressed in tube tops and very tight and very thin shorts. So thin and tight that you can clearly see the outline of the pussy.

I found the outfits a little bit unusual but also sexy.

Anyway this Thai girl put "farang lao" in the subject line of the e-mail and nothing else but the pictures.

What does she mean by "farang lao"?

The meaning could vary depending on how the word is pronounced, so you need to see it in Thai script first.

If it's pronounced "ow" as in "ouch", the words for Laos and liquor come to mind.

Farang lao could possibly mean a person of western/Laos heritage, and would make the most sense. But you'd have to see the spelling or else hear it pronounced to be absolutely sure.

quote:

Originally posted by pjacktpa:

The meaning could vary depending on how the word is pronounced, so you need to see it in Thai script first.

If it's pronounced "ow" as in "ouch", the words for Laos and liquor come to mind.

Farang lao could possibly mean a person of western/Laos heritage, and would make the most sense. But you'd have to see the spelling or else hear it pronounced to be absolutely sure.

The difference in pronounciation between Laao (long vowel duration mid tone) meaning Laotian and Lao (short vowel duration falling tone) meaning liquour is significant.

Most likely she meant Laao as in Laos. Normally it doesn`t take much before you can be called farang/lao. If you like sticky rice or Som Tham, if you drink Lao Khao or are fond of Mor Lam Sing etc. This will often trigger this phrase: Farang/Lao.

when thais call each other lao its like calling someone a hillbilly or that your

from the country or backward. Often said as a joke. So "farang lao" would have to

be a joke refering to style of dress, eating

etc etc

[ October 20, 2001: Message edited by: noo6 ]

Hua Nguu -

When I said the words for "liquor" and "Laos" came to mind, I was not saying the words were hymonymous.

Rather, my point was the base pronounciation of both words is similar, with only inflection of the voice through tone and pitch revealing the actual meaning. Similar, I suppose, to how all Thai children are taught "mai, mai, mai, mai, mai", etc. in primary school.

Using Roman characters to convert Thai script to English will never give one off, accurate translations. Without hearing the phrase or seeing it written in Thai, guesswork is the invariable result.

quote:

Originally posted by sanukdee:

A Thai girl, e-mail pal of mine sent me some rather provocative pictures of a Miss Hong Kong beauty contest. The Chinese ladies are dressed in tube tops and very tight and very thin shorts. So thin and tight that you can clearly see the outline of the pussy.

I found the outfits a little bit unusual but also sexy.

Anyway this Thai girl put "farang lao" in the subject line of the e-mail and nothing else but the pictures.

What does she mean by "farang lao"?

LOL!!! One of my friends also sends me forwards from that guy... I wonder if it's he or she that gets around?

Cheers!

Archived