Vegetarian festival festivities in south

texascity

Yeah, that's what they do down there about this time each year (maybe november?) - there's a big festival in Phuket which I attended a few times. Piercings were all over the place, especially through the mouth/cheeks. Lots of big needles going through all kinds of body parts.

If you're like me - a food lover, it's well worth a look, some of the dishes are amazing.

Around 1825 there was a serious fever epidemic amongst the Chinese tin miners on Phuket. Somebody decided it was because they were neglecting the traditional Chinese ceremonies and the gods were p*ssed off at them. So they went on a lengthy fast, which later evolved into the annual vegetarian festival.

The body piercing supposedly happens when a spirit has taken possession of one's body. The participants do these unbelievable things to themselves without any permanent injury! A few days afterwards, there will not even be a scar to show what happened. Totally spooky ...

Is it really spirit possession, or is the human mind capable of such control of the body??? (It definitely seems more Indian than Chinese or Thai.)

Flashermac said:

, which later evolved into the annual vegetarian festival.

The body piercing supposedly happens when a spirit has taken possession of one's body. The participants do these unbelievable things to themselves without any permanent injury! A few days afterwards, there will not even be a scar to show what happened. Totally spooky ...

Really? Where did you hear that?

During the time I lived in Phuket you could easily recognize these self-mutilating guys for years to come due to their scarred cheeks. Very common.

But, mayby, their faith was just not strong enough. ::

hua nguu

I needed to read your post.

Mon Senior Flash had me worried. To believe a guy could punch a painted & rounded iron bar through his cheek & be uninjured was all but Philipino magical surgery like.

I guess if a motocyclist can survive Bkk traffic anything is ultimately possible.

Archived