Differance between Khun and Phi?

Mekong

quote:

Originally posted by pjacktpa:

Touche my brother - though as you age, more and more people become younger than you, hence a proclivity to the proper address, no matter who is doing the addressing.

SNIP

To clarify even further, it doesn't matter if you are 8 years old, 20 years old, 50 years old, or 99 years old, everyone will call a 50 year old woman "bpah" as their title until they age into their next one.

Dude, I hope you really don't want to be called "auntie" !!!

Everyone will call a 50 year old woman "Bpah".?

So I guess that includes her sieblings, children and parents then.

What I meant with this Aunt thing was that, I was at an occasion or two called "Khun Bah" as in You`re crazy not "Khun Bpah" as in Aunt.

Touche my brother - though as you age, more and more people become younger than you, hence a proclivity to the proper address, no matter who is doing the addressing.

At our temple there are hundreds upon hundreds of people of every possible age. All the young'uns are called "luuk". Any woman 50-60 years old is called "bpah". Any grandma chewing betal nut, hunched over and walking with a cane is called "yai". It's that simple.

To clarify even further, it doesn't matter if you are 8 years old, 20 years old, 50 years old, or 99 years old, everyone will call a 50 year old woman "bpah" as their title until they age into their next one.

Dude, I hope you really don't want to be called "auntie" !!!

Hey Bro'

About the "auntie" appellation -

Just my experience being around Thai people, but it seens that no matter what the age of the person doing the calling, he/she will call out, "Bpah!!" to the auntie. Except for pra, of course.

Now, as to those within the auntie's family, well, now we're getting a little deep here, yo. I'm not Thai, just foreign bird shit white guy. Go to the source - either a long haired dictionary or Thai homeboy. Ask Kh. Sanuk for the real deal.

As to being called "Bah", that's very common, and used indescriminately whether you are Thai or not. I'm Irish, so I actually like the term when used towards moi.

But remember that the "crazy" bah can also mean, for example, "bah chawb" (really likes something). Like my old girl Nid Kai Ka-Nohm, used to call herself, "poo-ying bah tong" (girl who really likes, or is crazy about, gold. She was too, bless her heart smile.gif" border="0

It's not a derogatory term by any means.

pjack

When in doubt with pronouns, always use khun.

A classic mistake from some sanukers is using their own name as a pronoun.

Women, inc. the BGs, will do this - e.g Nok glup bahn.

However Thai men do not/can not do this, so farangs who do end up sounding very odd.

• 2 weeks later...

pjack,

what about this one.. 'bah-gahm' บ้ากาม - crazy about sex... sex-mad laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by seeker:

However Thai men do not/can not do this, so farangs who do end up sounding very odd.

Sorry, but this is entirely untrue. Thai men do/and can do this.

Cheers

Have to agree with both Seeker/Dan

Dan, I hope you don't do it though.

-Boys can use their name, instead of Phom.

-Younger guys (or boys) may use their names to talk to the olders (should be much older ones).

-Young guy (below early 20s) may use his name to talk to his friends or gf, make him look softer or more feminine!!

But if you go doing this on the street, with girls or colleagues, imo it's weird.

Oh ok, so I'm assuming that 'TGIAM' stands for 'Thai girl I am'?? Are you? I guess then if so, you are the authority here..

But, I had consulted a few people on this one and the pretty much unanimous answer I got was that MEN (even in their 40's or 50's) can use their own name as a personal pronoun when speaking to close friends and relatives.

One point of contention that was raised though was that if the male speaker has a feminine name, ie. Moo, Meow, Ouy, Lek etc.. then he would probably choose not to do so for fear of it sounding a bit feminine, but on the other hand, if his name was Ek, Aet, Tuk, Yai, etc.. then it would be perfectly acceptable and is quite common.

Mind you I'm no great authority here, I only jumped on this one because I know that some of the Thai guys around my office (who incidently are tight knit and are in their late 20's - early 30's) do address themselves as such. Other than there, I am not involved socially with Thai guys, so I wouldn't know.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by seeker:

> Sorry, but this is entirely untrue. Thai men do/and can do this.

Hold on... that was my initial response as well, but when I thought about it, I don't know any Thai males (other than children) who do this. They most often refer to themselves as 'Phee"' in a casual conversation with someone younger, and perhaps 'phom+' with someone older.

Cheers,

Chanchao

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Chanchao ]

As I usually use my name talking to my GF I became afraid to sound stupid and double checked with her.In that case at least she says it's quite alright and that phom would sound too distant(she\s 19 though in case that it matters)

“Phee” and “Noong” are normally used in informal communication among Thais like “Aai” and “Bok” is used in the Laos dialect. The word “Khun” can be used in both informal and formal communication.

According to my wife, the term “Khun” was historically a title given by the court and the person with “Khun” title would be entitled to accumulate land up to 500 or 600 rai. This was change later and titles were also given to women called Khun Ying. I understand that Khun is normally used to show respect especially toward elder people like I always call my mother-in-law Khun Mae. Other phrases used to show respect are for instance to teachers (Aa-Jaan) or (Muad) used to approach a high ranked police officer.

My wife normally calls me Dundee or “Phoa Ai (followed by my son name)” if they are around. The moment she starts using frequently Khun or Khun Farang this is normally a sign that she is upset and there is trouble in the air.

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: Dundee ]

Archived