Any tips on pronouncing the Thai R properly?

bibblies

We're talking Raw Reua here. I'd always thought it was pretty much the English 'R' sound and so pronounced it as such, without thinking too much about it.

However, now I'm being told that I'm not pronouncing it properly when I do this. The same individuals can't hear the difference when I say "raw" and "war" although I don't have a R/W problem (native English speakers can hear the difference easily).

Any English people come across this and remedy it? How do you duplicate the R sound?

My Thai teacher always taught me that Raw Reua was an R and that if I pronounced it as an L I'd just sound like a Lao rice farmer.

It's supposed to be a rolling R.

quote:

Originally posted by themayorofpattaya:

My Thai teacher always taught me that Raw Reua was an R and that if I pronounced it as an L I'd just sound like a Lao rice farmer.

Yes I`ve heard that too. However, I`d say that close to 95 or perhaps more of the thai people I`ve ever met pronounce the R as L anyway. One of the few places I get to hear the proper pronounciation is on the radio or television.

It`s rather similar to the use of "Khrap/kha" how often do you actually get to hear especially thai males use this when speaking to you?

When I started learning the language I got it dinned in with all the guide books saying you should use this at the end of the sentence, but actually I only seldom get to hear it.

All right I don`t hang out with educated or high class thais.

I`ve often found myself starting a conversation using "Khrap" at the end and not getting a "Khrap" in return. So now I generally omit it altogether unless they initiate it.

quote:

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

Yes I`ve heard that too. However, I`d say that close to 95 or perhaps more of the thai people I`ve ever met pronounce the R as L anyway. One of the few places I get to hear the proper pronounciation is on the radio or television.

Well after I read the post of Themay I was surprised and checked again with my GF,who says that all her friends(not isaan people) pronounce it L.I hear the rolling R pronunciation too on TV and by a friend who studies dramatic art and who is supposed to take real good care of his speaking.I heard it sometimes in casual converation but the speaker seemed to be kind of joking as he stressed the rolling R

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: luisBKK ]

Hua Nguu is correct in saying that most of the Thai people pronounce it as an ‘L’ and this is regardless in or outside BKK. Correct pronunciation is to use ‘R’ although you will hear this mainly on TV and radio stations. In government sections you will not hear this that often and I understand that not every teachers in schools or universities are pronouncing this correct. The rolling ‘R’ is often subjected to make fun about it. laugh.gif" border="0

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: Dundee ]

I know it's supposed to be a rolling Spanish-type 'r', but I just can't do it. My teacher said that my normal [English,half-swallowed] 'r' is so bad, that pronouncing it as 'l' is actually better for me! I'd rather not resort to this, so anyone got any last suggestions. I.e. It's the English 'r' in such and such word, or: twist your tongue this way and think of Salma Hayek. Whatever!

The 'r' comes relatively easy enough for me since I'm conversational in Spanish so I use it. But I have to agree I hear many pronounce it as an 'l', even outside of Issan or people from Issan. Several of the guys at the office pronounce it that way and they are all from Bangkok.

Wonder if it akin to that joke in 'Lethal Weapon' about 'flied lice you plick.' Granted he was Chinese but maybe it's an Asian thing.

Archived