Ryanair

ultras67

This is one of the reasons they are able to charge low fares.

Ryanair scooped ?39 million from cancelled passenger bookings

By Finfacts Team Oct 26, 2005, 07:52

Low fares airline Ryanair made ?39m in the financial year to the end of last March in taxes and airport charges, levied on passengers who booked tickets but did not fly with the airline.

According to a report in the Irish Independent, although most airlines levy separate airport charges on their passengers, Ryanair has courted controversy by being one of the only companies which flatly refuses to refund these charges.

"All monies paid to Ryanair are paid on a non-refundable basis," said Michael O'Leary, the Ryanair chief executive, when asked about the charges yesterday.

The newspaper says that until now, Ryanair has never revealed how much it makes from the taxes and charges which it takes in but does not have to pass on to national exchequers and airports.

The ?39m figure is based on analysis by the Irish Independent of regulatory filing made by Ryanair to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

The '20-F' filing shows that 27,593,923 flights were booked with Ryanair in the year to the end of March 2005, but only 25,641,508 of these were actually flown. Ryanair levies what it calls "taxes, fees and charges" of about ?20 on all tickets.

This means that, aside from the actual cost of a ticket, Ryanair customers who did not fly paid ?37.7m last year in non-refundable taxes and charges. This amounts to 12pc of last year's ?309m pre-tax profit.

The Irish Independent says that although called "taxes, fees and charges", the levy is not directly related to either the taxes or the charges.

For instance, the Irish government abolished departure taxes more than a decade ago but Ryanair customers booking a flight from Dublin are charged ?20.64 in "taxes, fees and charges".

This does not include the "handling fee", which is ?2.50 for customers paying by credit card and ?0.60 for those paying by debit card.

The charges levied by Ryanair are similar across Europe. Passengers travelling from the UK are levied £15.18 (?22.39), while those travelling from France are levied ?19.87. The levies do not take account of the discounts to passengers' charges which Ryanair typically receives from the airports it flies from.

The newspaper says that Ryanair became the first airline to strip out airport charges a decade ago as a means of cutting commission it paid to travel agents. It has since ceased paying travel agent commissions.

Although other airlines refund charges, they tend not to advertise the fact and some impose "cancellation charges" on passengers looking for the refund. Aer Lingus levies a charge of ?17.88 plus a handling charge of ?5 on passengers out of Dublin.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10003739.shtml

This subject has been brought up before, along with some countries subsidies paid to Ryanair for flying into their secondary airport(s). I fly them but I take no chances of being over their 15 kilo weight limit on luggage because their excess charges are astronomical. I've also never eaten any of their food or drinks and have declined their "almost duty free" selection of items.

If they did fly to Bangkok, it would be a cheap flight but would land somewhere at least three times as far away as the current airport and the food served and the entertainment provided would cost enough to make up the price difference between their airline ticket and a ticket on a traditional airline.

I wonder how many of those are one way flights where the return was not used :)

often cheaper to buy the Round trip and throw away the return,

you would think the airport and government would want there cut, '

If airport fees were charged they should be refunded or paid to the airport , not Ryanair :(

OC

another low cost Airline in the UK is Easyjet.

last Night i was helping a Friend get Flights to Amsterdam.

she is going for a romantic Weekend with her fella......... :hubba:

they have booked a Hotel behind the posh one on Dam Square and paying £90 a Night......... :yikes:

i suggested Easyjet and i got return Flights for the pair of them for around £21 each........... :yay:

she was very happy.......... :beer:

Guest lazyphil

we flew to linz austria from stansted with ryanair, door to door 3 hours and for 3 people including tax about 75 pounds, tickets were actually 7 pounds each, ridiculas really, who needs food/drink for a 80 minute flight?

dean said:

If they did fly to Bangkok, it would be a cheap flight but would land somewhere at least three times as far away as the current airport and the food served and the entertainment provided would cost enough to make up the price difference between their airline ticket and a ticket on a traditional airline.

Yeh, I bet it would be a fiver for the meals and probably about the same or more to buy headphones to listen to the music / movie.

The seat pitch would be the legal minimum - apart from any economy plus section where the would charge more for extra legroom.

Bet they would use UTapao and call it Bangkok Regional airport!

Archived