Suf Board Rental

saucier01

lf,

'65 to the early 70's timeframe. Hippie dippy stuff, Summer of love and all that. Strange times, loads of sanuk. My brother and his sons are serious scuba freaks living in NorCal (San Jose). They do a lot of traveling up and down the coast diving and taking abalone. Some good stories on their experiences seeing great whites while in the seaweed forests plucking the abalone. Problem with surfing NorCal is the sharks, and the fact a surfer lying on his board in full suit looks just like a damned sealion from below to the fucking sharks! :yikes::down: Yeah, cold water there as well, although nothing like Ogunquit or Wells Beach in the winter I'd bet! :D At least the southern side of the Cape still had the gulf stream warmer water effect. Hell, we used to drink the beers so we'd have a good store of warm piss to let go into the wetsuit to warm up your ballbag when it just got too damned intense. Talk about blueballs. (These were wetsuits, not the newer and warmer drysuits they came out with later on.) :: Fucking backspray from the surf would actually freeze onto your stash and we'd all look like walruses by the time we came in to warm up. It was fun though, and we New Englanders are sturdy stock! :D Nuts, but fun.

Worst was getting to some of the surf. Lots of good surf at the bottom of the rocky cliffs in Maine. Used to tie the board onto our back with the leg band bungee cord, climb down the rock face, then time the waves and drop backward into the surf, quickly undo the bungee cord and paddle like hell before the waves could smash you into the cliff face. Lost a couple good boards on the rocks doing that. Now that I think of it we were insane really. Anything to catch the waves though. Young, dumb, and fulla cum I guess. A lot of us as we got a bit older stopped surfing much and really got into some serious skateboarding. More extreme stuff. Nearly killed myself once skating down the Sangre deChristos mountains in Santa Fe New Mexico on a fiberglass Excalibur board with no kick on old polyurethene wheels and open face ball bearings. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Sorry, old guy reminiscing here. Still bear the scars! :: :: The pool riders in Cal had nothing on us crazy fuckers. East coast/west coast rivalry and all that shite. Loved the flat out downhill racing. Seriously wacky stuff. Got my eldest son into the skateboarding and he became pretty damned good at freestyle.

Rambling now. Signing off. :)

Cent

p.s. What I really liked about the surfing and the skating was the fact they were very personal sports. No team. No one to blame when you fucked up but yourself. It had a definite appeal that no team games could ever match for me.You against the waves, you against the tarmac and pavement. The skateboarding just seemed a natural segue from the surfing.

Schreeding it up in LOS...Have surf and even a contest...I forget when but I did it a few years ago. the surf there during the season is about 2-4 and often the waves are too close together. I would way logn boards most of the year which can be gotton at Aloha Surf Shop in Patong and also in Kata. As to a swell North of Patong I woould think so as the was bump up on the wrap in from the north point of the bay.

I say some guys paddeling over as I went by on a long tail to make soume scuba dives at the point. I wouldn't call Phuket a Surf Safari local but you can some rides. I've see some boards arriving at the HKT airport, Japanese guys looking for some board short waves!

Archived