Suf Board Rental

saucier01

lf,

When's the surfing season start in Phuket? I surfed for quite a few years in my teens and 20's. East coast. I've never really seen much to surf around the LOS, but I haven't done the islands much yet. Last time I was in Phuket it was flat as a board really. Just enough to do some light body surfing. Thanks for the tip for the Saltwater Dreaming rental shop. Do they have decent sticks, or mostly boogie board? Been a while, but would be fun to get out again.

Cent

Hi cent,

The season is April to October, but even then it's hit or miss. Nothing huge, mostly shorebreak, but still rideable and fun. Good thing is, even if there's no surf, you're on a tropical island in Thailand, so who cares!! :grinyes::beer:

I didn't rent, so I can't comment on the condition of the stock at saltwater dreaming. I think they use NSP boards, which are epoxy, and not as easily damaged as fiberglass, so they're probably in decent shape.

Writing this is really making me wish I was there! :banghead:

lf,

Thanks for the info. As an East Coast (ex) surfer I know the frustration of "hit or miss" and can deal with it. :) Now I am talking east coast of the US, not the Island of Hawaii. So we would have to travel from Maine to Florida to find the surf. Some serious cold water surfing as well. Full wet suit (hood, boots and gloves as well) stuff with vaseline on your face to keep the ice off! (Fucking cold man!) Extreme sport before they called them extreme! :: :D Winter surf was actually better than summer surf in New England. We'd get our pics in the local paper every year because we'd all get together and go out on Xmas day every year just for kicks. Seperates the men from the boys it does! Except for the late summer hurricaine swells. So we did a lot of traveling up and down the coast. The Cape, R.I., Jersey, Hatteras/Carolinas, and of course, Florida. Loved that warm water down south! :D Lots of fun weekends spent driving in an old Ford econoline van smoking the weed and drinking Boone's Farm Apple Wine, Yago Sangria, Ripple, and 16 ouncer Falstaff beer, or Naragansetts or Black Label beer. (The cheap stuff! ::) We weren't picky I'll say that. Loads of fun, and a blast if we found some rideable surf. Was a long time ago, but fondly remembered. We had some decent surfers in our crowd, and 2 had their own surf shop near Nahant Beach on the Lynnway. (Those 2 were incredible.) A couple of my friends (brothers) were quite good at building their own boards. I preferred a smaller Bing tri-skeg for the shore break myself. Much fun.

Have some good stories of those times.

Cent

Wow, those sound like some amazing times! I love hearing stories like that. I've only been at it for a few years and really wish I'd started earlier. The water here in NorCal is pretty damn cold, and full suits are the norm. Like NE, we get the best swell in the winter. Nothing like being buck naked on a cold drizzly morning changing into your wetsuit and then jumping into 40 degree water to get your day started! It fucking sucks, but we keep on doing it!

To asiafun:

Sizewise it's not dissimilar to waikkiki, 3-4 feet on a good day, but the shape and consistency of the waves are nowhere near as good.

Archived