Who said Patpong was a rip off?

chilli13

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1848928,00.html

IF THERE is one place a man is guaranteed to make a tit of himself, it?s in a strip club. Last week Robert McCormick became the latest executive to lose more than his dignity at Scores, New York?s most famous lap-dancing venue.

Back in October 2003 McCormick and some pals ran up a $241,000 (?200,000) bill in the club on his corporate American Express card. According to Scores, McCormick holed up in Score?s exclusive President?s Club, where the chief executive of Savvis, a Missouri-based IT firm, proceeded to entertain as many as 15 dancers at a time for an ?all-night event?.

Such behaviour is the norm at Scores. Gossip has it the mirror-walled Presidents Room?s punters have included Chris Rock, Christina Aguilera, Leo DiCaprio and George Clooney along with countless other big wigs from the world of entertainment, business and politics. But as most of them pay the bill, they have not had to face the public shaming McCormick has endured.

McCormick, who was celebrating a business deal, claims he intended to spend ?just? $20,000, of his own money. A sum that Mrs McCormick and the couple?s three daughters would no doubt have found entirely reasonable.

When the bill came in, McCormick claimed he had been done. Scores and Savvis have been in dispute ever since. American Express has now paid the bill and last week launched a lawsuit against Savvis for failing to cough up. McCormick, has been suspended without pay.

The New York tabloids are having a field day. ?Biz boob busts bank for babes,? said the New York Post, dubbing him the ?lap dunce?. ?$lap dance!? yelled the Daily News.

If I were McCormick, I?d be going for the ?drunk in charge of a credit card? defence ? arguing I was too blotto to realise what was going on. Because when it comes to the paper work, it looks like Scores has him.

Scores argues that McCormick was spending so much that staff repeatedly had him sign waivers in which he swore he wasn?t drunk and accepted responsibility for the charges. Just to make doubly sure who was signing what, these waivers were identified with his fingerprints.

The club?s patrons buy ?diamond dollars? on their cards that they can then spend on $1,000 bottles of champagne or whatever else tickles their fancy.

Each time McCormick spent another $10,000 on the card, he was asked to sign a waiver. The waiver reads: ?I am at Scores of my own free will. At the time of this transaction, I am not drunk nor in any way impaired. I have not been coerced. I am not under any duress. I agree to pay any and all charges I have incurred as a result of my purchase of diamond dollars.?

Surely not the sort of thing anyone would sign sober? McCormick?s wife, Michelle, had another explanation. She told the Daily News her husband was the innocent victim of a crime.

?I spoke to his assistant and here?s what happened: somebody stole his credit card and went to town with it,? she said.

Nice try Mrs but they know what they are doing at Scores. You might not be able to leave any fingerprints on the girls, but they make sure your inky dabs are all over the receipts.

The lawsuit is at least the third in the past two years involving contested credit card charges at Scores. In fact, the club has generated so much heat that the district attorney?s office has said it is investigating several allegations of overcharging.

One thing is for sure: McCormick is not the first, nor will he be the last with a score to settle with Scores. The day after McCormick?s spree, Tauhidul Chaudhury, husband of a Bangladeshi diplomat, blew $129,000 at the club. The resulting embarrassment cost his wife her job. The couple were eventually recalled to Bangladesh, a country where strip clubs are presumably more difficult to find. Scores said Chaudhury returned to the club several times after the spree. Just for one last look, I suppose.

Jeeze, having only had one course in business law, I know that a waiver signed by an incompetent person in rarely binding. Courts do, howver, rarely side with a person who is incompetent because of drunkenness.

In any case, if he can show that he really was blotto, it is doubtful that American Express will be able to recover. Sadly though, $200,000 pays for a lot of legal overhead, and they will make him work for it.

How many clubs in Patpong take the American Express card? This evening, I asked one infamous club to take my ATM card, but they declined.

Maybe we sboudl be thankful.

liquidflux said:
BadaBing said:

Eden took my CC last month for services rendered.... I also got miles for that " purchase " :grinyes:

Bada :: Bing

The 75 miles I raked up at Poseiden on CC were definitely well earned :hubba:

Well , as it was my last day on the trip I may have went a " little beserk " think I got enough miles for a 1 way C class to BKK :rotfl:

Bada :elephant: Bing

How fucking greedy are Scores? i mean cmon how do you rack up a 240,000 bill at a strip club in a night? they should be investigting the incredible overpricing of the place and shut it down. why did american express pay the fucking bill? i wouldve told scores to fuck off as there would be no way they coulve sued american express.

and people wonder why guys like to party in thailand...oh der...i can have nights like that spending only a minimal amount!!!!

Archived