The answer to bird flu!!!

Flashermac

Free Republic

3 Nov 2005

U.S. Sauerkraut Sales Soar on Reports it Could Cure Avian Flu; Cure in a Can Sends Americans on a Sauerkraut Buying Spree -

Sauerkraut sales are going through the roof, with some Midwest stores reporting an 850% spike just last week on a recent report that scientists at Seoul National University successfully used Kimchi Sauerkraut to treat chickens infected with Avian Flu. Both Kimchi and traditional Sauerkraut are made by fermenting sliced cabbage, producing a high level of lactic acid, which may be the critical element in preventing Avian Flu.

"We saw our sales climb immediately as this news hit," says Chris Smith, VP of marketing for Frank's Sauerkraut, one of the United States' leading brands of Sauerkraut. "Men's Health Magazine also advised constructing a pandemic kit containing sauerkraut because of its lactic acid bacteria. People are stocking up on sauerkraut like bottled water before a hurricane hits. We hope to be able to keep up with the demand this season," he adds.

Sales of Frank's brand sauerkraut were up an average of 77% (over the same period in 2004) in a survey of sales of 54 Midwest food retailers during week 39 of 2005. "This is an incredible indicator that the American public is taking preventative steps to insulate themselves from this potential pandemic in advance," says Chris Smith. "With nine of the stores reporting an increase in sales of over 150% and one store even reporting an 850% increase what we're seeing is a radical shift from our traditional approach to treating health issues: waiting until we're sick," he adds.

CBS Television WCCO in Minneapolis reported on October 23, 2005 that "When Patricia Oxendale heard about the study, she rushed to her neighborhood grocery store to buy some sauerkraut. 'That's what I just saw on TV so I thought, 'I'm going to take some home,' because I love it -- usually on Reuben sandwiches,' Oxendale said. Others at the store bought the sour cabbage just because they like it."

According to the November 2nd 2005 Chicago Sun-Times, "President Bush on Tuesday outlined a $7.1 billion strategy to get ready for the next pandemic...and the details released Wednesday stress that early on, the public will be depending on scarce supplies of anti-flu drugs and stockpiled vaccines and old-fashioned ways of limiting viral spread." "News like this sends a message to the American public that they had better be ready to use every means available to prevent the spread of this flu because they can't count on the government. Sauerkraut holds out promise to prevent, if not cure Avian Flu. They've been eating piles of the Kimchi variety in Asia and, coincidentally, also had the lowest number of SARS cases in that area." says Chris Smith.

Flash,

The family would probably love sauerkraut if I put in some birdshit peppers and long dead little crabs! Problem is, where to find sauerkraut in Surin?!! :) Oh well, I guess I'll need to move to Bangkok now so I can get all this wonderful farang stuff not available here. :( Yeah, right. :: :D

Hell, isn't som tam close enough to kim chee to protect from bird flu. Lots of weird fermented cabbage stuff being eaten here I've seen. You'd think the chili pepper levels in the foods would be enough to kill any germs and viruses entering your system! :) And that smelly nam prick must be good for something other than making me gag from the smell! :barf::yikes:

Cent

Watch yourself in Isaan ... seriously! The Isaan folks LOVE raw "food", such as those little crabs they dig up in the rice paddies. They also make NAEM with raw pork, eat LARP LUET and other yucky things. Very good chance of picking up parasites like as liver flukes.

Have JOSH tell you some time about how many people die in Isaan in their 40s and 50s of liver cancer etc from those parasites.

Flash,

I've tried most everything once, but usually once is enough for most of these things they eat! :rolleyes::nono:

I like the larp moo. But the raw beef and peppers dish the guys eat with their beers is nasty, and hotter than hell too. No need to try it more than once unless you are a sucker for punishment! I can imagine how nasty and unhealthy some of the stuff is actually. They refrigerate nothing it seems. The nearly raw bloody periwinkles they eat are downright gross. They don't even cook the damned things, they just blanch them quickly in some boiling water for maybe 30 seconds and drain them off and chow down. I refuse to eat them. Thought they were horrid when I tasted them a long time ago.

And yeah, I see them eat those little field crabs all the time raw. They just dig into the ground damned near anywhere in a rice field it seems and find tons of them in the dirt, even in the dry season if you dig down far enough you'll find pockets of them.

So, how do the doctors check you to see if you've got any of these liver fluke parasites anyways? :: :yikes::relieved:

Cent

In the Peace Corps we had a stool sample checked every year. That was just for worms though. Don't know about the liver flukes.

Reminds me of the time an idiot buddy of mine -- the Canuck in Wonder Woman! -- lost the container for his stool specimen. So there he was riding across Bangkok on a city bus to the hospital with his shit in a cottage cheese carton. Oddly enough, he said no one wanted to sit next to him on the bus! :)

p.s. We always wanted to put some soi dog turds into the box and freak out the doc, but never had the nerve.

Archived