BangkokPhil - non-native English speakers..

bibblies

This is basically a plea to BangkokPhil to do a piece about the sheer pleasure to be had by native English speakers by eavesdropping on conversations held between myriad non-native speakers.

I can't express it the way Phil can, but there's such beauty there when a German tourist tries to communicate with his Thai bar-girl in a restaurant the morning after.

Swiss with Italian with Thai around Nana Disco at closing time. Mmmmmmmm

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

This is basically a plea to BangkokPhil to do a piece about the sheer pleasure to be had by native English speakers by eavesdropping on conversations held between myriad non-native speakers.

I can't express it the way Phil can, but there's such beauty there when a German tourist tries to communicate with his Thai bar-girl in a restaurant the morning after.

Swiss with Italian with Thai around Nana Disco at closing time. Mmmmmmmm

I am sure there is. smile.gif" border="0

But on the other hand how many native english speakers do you know who command two or more languages besides english?

I realize that many of us non native speakers do not fully command the subtleties of english, but then again nor do the thai people we communicate with. Generally you`ll have a much better success rate in making yourself understood by speaking "Thenglish" instead of regular english.

This may sometimes be the reason why you get to overhear some severe idiomatic blunders.

Now if you were to express yourself in another language mayby we would then have the opportunity to behold the rare beauty of that too. wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

I am sure there is.
smile.gif" border="0

But on the other hand how many native english speakers do you know who command two or more languages besides english?

I realize that many of us non native speakers do not fully command the subtleties of english, but then again nor do the thai people we communicate with. Generally you`ll have a much better success rate in making yourself understood by speaking "Thenglish" instead of regular english.

This may sometimes be the reason why you get to overhear some severe idiomatic blunders.

Now if you were to express yourself in another language mayby we would then have the opportunity to behold the rare beauty of that too.
wink.gif" border="0

Yeah, but I can't hear how funny that is wink.gif" border="0

Archived