Hotel in Udon Thani

t-ride

dddave wrote:"The CGR is certainly the most delux in town, next to a major shopping mall. I used to like the Charoune Hotel, about four blocks away. Older and not delux, but with a large, outdoor pool and usually a pretty interesting array of fellow guest's.

If you walk out of the CGR, turn right walking past the mall, take your first right at the flower stand. There are two "Falang" bar/restaurants just down that street. If I remember correctly, one is "Steves". They serve a decent burger and can fill you in on local attractions."

Yes completely agree. Stayed at the CGR a year ago and found the flower stand really good (romantic bastard!!!) and also those 2 farang bars/restaurants very handy.

Cheers

Fatbastard 33

There is absolutely nothing wrong with The City Lodge on Wattana Rd. 500 baht/night and nice. I stayed in the 900 baht deluxe room and the thing was huge. Andy makes a mean wood-fired pizza too. If you want something a little more "upscale", walk about 2 minutes over to the Irish Clock. About the same price and is one of the nicest pubs you will find in Thailand.

Used to stay at the Charoensri Grand Royal afew years ago, excellent hotel then. Baan Chiang is worth a visit if you have run out of things to do but the Phu Lang Ka park is much more interesting although harder to get to. Hire a car its well worth the day out. The best option for accomodation is the Udon house. German run, clean and organised, Problem is its out near the ring road so you really need a car, but in Udon you are a bit ferked without out one. I thnk Steves bar hires them, or maybe a bike if you are brave, The drivers there a hell bent on suicide.

I have stayed at the CGR many times. Never had a problem at all. It is also in a very good location. Steves is just down the street and if you go across the street to the alley just to the left of tongs as you are facing it there a number of bars back there. One of my hangouts is the aussie pub run by Justin. Good guy. BTW he loves to drink the korean spirit called "Soju".

Justin also has another bar further down the road called Aussie Pub 2..pretty original. To teh left of that pub as you are facing it is a really nice outdoor BBQ style place that has a kind of buffet where you boil/bbq your own food at the table. It is very cheap and a good time. The girls really seem to like it.

Justin can also point out a number of great nightclubs and other gentlemens places. I would recommend Mambo's, Little Rock and I believe the name is "Full Moon".

Mambos is a stand alone disco that has a great atmosphere. Little Rock has a good show but annoying DJ's but going there gets you in a soi with a $hitload of other nightclubs.

Full Moon is a ago-go style club with some very attractive ladies. I recommend you don't go by yourself though. You may want to have a person who can speak a little thai and is familiar with how things work or you may find yourself paying more than expected.

I have stayed at the Ban Chiang Hotel but did not like it much. It is a nice looking hotel but the safes in the rooms never work and most of the rooms have sliding balcony doors that do not lock thus being a serious risk to a break-in.

When you are there you should call into Harrys bar, Its not in a great location but Harry is the "font of all knowledge" in Udon. He's happy to share info with you and he does pretty reasonable food.

I never quite understand what happened to the "steve's bar" area. up until a couple of years ago he had his bar, it seemed to do well and the food was excellent. Now he seems to have swapped locations with another Brit, downsized and the food is quite frankly a bit crappy.

Udons a bit of a "Bermuda triangle" for westeners, some strange things go on. One of the strangest was a German set up in the suburbs. A German wrestler (Hulk Hogan copy) set up a very nice hotel in the weirdest location, almost unfindable. Terrific place with bars and steak house built in. He seemed to have wads of money, expensive cars in the car park. He spent most of his time in the steak house surrouded by a harem of very young Thai girls, holding court and entertaining the local cops.

I used to stay there but then the whole thing went tits up and closed.

Archived