Hotel in Udon Thani

t-ride

Hi guys,

I will stay 7-10 days in Udon Thani in December and it seems that there is not a big choice in term of hotels.

I'm still not sure which one is best between those 2:

Charoensri Grand Royal

Ban Chiang

The price difference is not a factor.

Has any of you been in one of those hotels before ?

Comments would be appreciated.

Thx

Thx for the link fat_aussie, seems to have a lot of useful information on that website; I will give a look when back home.

Let's hope I will find stuff to do as this is my first time in Udon Thani and my gf will only be available after 4PM; I will be alone during the daytime.

Yes that's what I'm thinking too; wake up late, good breakfast, relax a bit at the pool and then a good massage which should kill time until 4PM.

The other thing I am wondering is if Udon Thani is big enough so I can have fun around without being eventually 'noticed' by some friends of my gal.

The CGR is certainly the most delux in town, next to a major shopping mall. I used to like the Charoune Hotel, about four blocks away. Older and not delux, but with a large, outdoor pool and usually a pretty interesting array of fellow guest's.

If you walk out of the CGR, turn right walking past the mall, take your first right at the flower stand. There are two "Falang" bar/restaurants just down that street. If I remember correctly, one is "Steves". They serve a decent burger and can fill you in on local attractions.

If you like Orchids, one of the top nursery's in Thailand is in Udon and worth seeing; so are the archeoligical digs and museum at Ban Chaing, but that's a 90 minute bus ride East.

They give out free street maps at the mall info desk, make sure to have one along when walking. The streets run on diagonals into circles and it is easy to get lost. By the way, the maps also point out where you can get a "sensuous massage", should the need arise.

I still havent booked my hotel yet, I read that the CGR is nice and well located but getting old... what do you think of it ?

Actually a 90 minutes bus ride is not a big deal and I have a lot of free time so I will probably give a shot to these attractions that are also mentioned on the udonmap website.

Thx again for your input.

Archived