Good Reading - And pictures, too !!

follies

Just got back from my latest trip to LOS, clutching in my grubby little hands two prize possessions - books by Dean Barrett.

First was the already-famous "Thailand - Land of Beautiful Women", which has been well-reported on this site. Was a little hard to find, ended up spotting it at a small bookshop in the shopping centre opposite Patpong on Silom Road - 795Baht. Worth every penny, by the way. Something for me to flip open during those long evenings in Texas where I wish I was back in Thailand. BTW, I read a review of the book by Bernard Trink (the one and only) in the Bangkok post. He threw in a few grudging compliments, but complained about the overly-large bargirl content. Given the content and subject matter of his weekly column in the Post (when it is coherent, which is not very often), I hardly feel that he has the grounds for such comments!

Second one was "Land of Make-Believe", a novel. This kept me engrossed for most of my extremely long flights back home, definitely worth a read for those of you who have not done so yet.

I understand that the author is an occasional contributor to this forum (if you don't know his alias by now, you'll just have to figure it out for yourselves)....anyway, if you read this, thanks for the memories!!

Are there any other books out there which you can recommend? I just returned from my first trip to LOS and would like to learn more about the night scene (as maybe seen thru the girls eyes)as well as interesting points on relationships with them. I'm certainly not a book reader, but I need something to get me thru the next 11 months until my return flight to BKK.

NoBaht4U,

Try reading "Private Dancer" on line by Stephen Leather. I just finished reading "Hello My Big Big Honey". The book I just stared to read is "A Killing Smile" by Christopher Moore. I'm now waiting for the book that follies just mentioned from Amazon. I only hope its here in time so I can read it on the plane.

So much reading, so little time. crazy.gif" border="0

LeoTex

PS just go to "Amazon.com" and search Thailand.

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: LeoTex ]

Mr. Khun Sanuk,

Thank you for the ability to do "Message edit" on this board. Sometimes, one can only hope you can get can ge back there before its read.

Since you are very open minded about suggestion, here is one. Where the hell is spell check and grammar check when you need it?

I'm now off looking for my dictonary. And Y'all (don't flame me, Y'all is in the Texas dictionary) think I have a chance to learn Thai?

LeoTex

You can get 'The Big Mango' and 'Tea Money' by Jake Needham at any bookstore when you are out here. I read in the Bangkok Post that Needham grew up on a ranch in Texas, so you might identify, Tex.

A few of us know him, but Needham keeps a pretty low profile and won't let his novels be sold through Amazon. I don't understand why since he writes really international quality stuff and it's sold all over Asia.

Nick Nostitz's book is very good, but it is mroe a picture book than a book to read as such. Still, it carries a powerful message.

For anyone who likes Jake Needham, there is a lengthy piece with him in today's Post.

As reads go I found both Jakes books a little far-fetched.....though immensely enjoyable. Some of the description is superb and manages to bring BKK alive. Good if you haven't been to LOS, great if you have....and if you have come and gone it'll probably make you cry smile.gif" border="0

One of the first books I read was some sort of study by Cleo Odzer - many people didn't like it but I found that it provided some good insights.

quote:

First was the already-famous "Thailand - Land of Beautiful Women", which has been well-reported on this site. !![/QB]

Sorry, but I am going to have to go against the flow on this. Had a look at the book in Bookazine today and was very disapointed.I was expecting the photographs to be a bit more, well, photographic...but the majority of them were just snapshots with very little attention given to lighting or composition. From looking at the cover you would expect something a little more proffesional and worthy of the coffee table.I have to say it won't be on mine. Can't say to much about the girls, as everyones idea of beauty differs. Mine did anyway.

This is not meant as a personal attack on the Author or photographer, just another side of the coin.

Cheers

Roger

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

Archived