Winking - any connotations in Thai?

bibblies

quote:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

A friendly wink directed at children is fine, I guess, as long as "children" are under 5 or so years old otherwise you might end up being considered a sexual pervert.
wink.gif" border="0

Are people really that paranoid about child-perverts over here? I've never had that sense. I ask because this fear's become ridiculous in England. If you did something that comes naturally to a Thai, such as picking up someone's baby, calling it cute, or joking around with a youngster, you'd get nasty looks and soon find that about ten people have called the police.

There have been more and more people esp.in big cities having more "concern" about their children's safety and well-being. Having a stranger either a Thai or a farang picking up their children is not a good thing. It's just because their kids might catch a cold or other diseases. I don't do that either. I just tell the parents that they have a cute kid or whatever I want to express. But I won't dare to touch them.

In rural area is a differnt story, I'm sure. There are still a Thai way of expressing and sharing things. You can do that without any problem.

GTG,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it bad luck to tell a Thai parent that their child is cute or give any other form of compliment. Better to say the child is not so cute so that the spirits do not take the child. Can you enlighten me please?

Cheers Hall

Hall,

You are correct...an example:

New baby born, if everyone start saying the baby is very cute then the Thai beliefs (older generation!!) will believe the spirits will come and take the baby away...

Sanukboot.

Archived