Winking - any connotations in Thai?

bibblies

quote:

Originally posted by hall:

...Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it bad luck to tell a Thai parent that their child is cute or give any other form of compliment. Better to say the child is not so cute so that the spirits do not take the child...

Hi Hall,

I had heard of this superstition too (think I read it in the Lonely Planet book but can't quite recollect).

A while back I met an old Thai friend who had just had a baby. Suitably forewarned about this superstition, I was just about to tell her how ugly her baby looked ('to keep away the bad spirits'), but thought I had better just check with her about it. She looked puzzled and told me she had never heard of this superstition. So I went on to say how NARAK (cute) the baby was and she seemed pleased at this. Although if truth be told, it did infact look quite wrinkled and ugly. ;-)

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

hall:

SanukBoot is right. But this superstition is not believed that much among people living in big cities compared to people in rural area. Boo Radley's story is one example of the people in the city ( I assume) that never even heard of the superstition!

So now, I just say "Your child is so cute." to my friends or whoever.

Hall,

Something I decided to leave out of my original post is that this superstition is an old belief that would more likely be practiced upcountry or something that would affect the older generation of Thai people in Bangkok.....Generally this does not apply to the younger generation in Bangkok.

Sanukboot.

Archived