Bangkok Insideout

Bkkbound04

Yesterday in one of the Thai Daily newspapers there was a front page article about the book 'Bangkok Insideout' my GF read it and its seems to have stirred her up, asking me why farangs always write bad things about her country, she went on to say that the article said the police would be confiscating the book in Thailand. Did anyone read the article? Has anyone read the book? Where is this going to lead if true?

JP

The book describes Bangkok a bit more in depth than the lonely planet guide. If you live here, it is amusing how they find things noteworthy that you take for granted in everyday life. If you are a tourist, it certainly widens your horizon. They talk a lot about real life Bangkok (let's say about Phrakhanong) and not so much about "traditional" Thai "culture" aimed at tourists (Wat Whatever, Thai dancing). I think it is the only book I have ever seen with photographs of normal Bangkokians like I see them everyday by the millions. Not just hilltribe people or dancers in costumes.

I didn't buy it as I live here - why should I buy a book instead of just going outside? It's not that great anyway.

Sure, not the "beautiful" fake kitsch Thais like.

Archived