Yahoo Messenger Annoying Popup

Tiger Moth

Starting yesterday, I began to receive popups from Yahoo Messenger when I receive an e-mail. I have no idea why this started to happen.

I don't even use Yahoo Messenger.

I tried to delete Yahoo Messenger through MS Windows XP and couldn't even find it.

Any ideas how I can disable/remove Yahoo Messenger or at least stop these unwanted/annoying popups?

Thanks

Oh, just to be complete, the only change to my system that I made recently was to install RealPlayer.

Are you sure that you don't have Yahoo Messenger running? Do you have a little yellow happy face showing in your system tray? What about a white sad face there?

I tried sending a test mail to my Yahoo account, and the pop up showed only when the Yahoo Messenger was online.

????

It's not related to Yahoo Messenger, it's related to the Windows "Messenger" Service, which spammers exploit to send you popups.

To kill it, select Start > Run... > services.msc and click OK

Scroll down to Messenger, double-click it to open

For "Start type," select Disabled

Then click the Stop button.

Now the popups will never recur.

It is doubtful that disabling this Messenger service will have any other effect on your machine other than to stop the popups.

Tiger,

I don't believe your problem (actually situation - it isn't a problem but is a design feature of Yahoo Messenger) was related to the Windows "Messenger" Service.

If you have the YELLOW smiley face then you are LOGGED in to Yahoo Messenger, and that is why you will get the message pop-ups when you receive a new email to your Yahoo account.

To turn it off (and to not log in automatically) you need to open the Yahoo Messenger (double click on the yellow smiley face in the system tray), then use the menu Messenger / Preferences and disable the automatic login, etc...

That should turn off Yahoo Messenger (you will now see the white sad face in the system tray) and you will not get those popups.

Cheers!

Yeah, you may be right about that, but I've seen this come up many times. People see "Messenger" in the title bar of the popup and assume it's "Yahoo Messenger" or the like, but it's not.

A Windows Messenger Service popup looks like a standard Windows message box, i.e. title bar, a (typically spam) message, and OK and cancel buttons. I don't know what a Yahoo Messenger popup looks like, as I don't use it.

But yeah, if it's a Yahoo Messenger popup, then one needs to remove the program from the startup folder to prevent it from auto-loading on boot, or in Preferences, or shut it down manually.

Although it's sorta odd that my suggestion caused the Yahoo Messenger icon to disappear from the tray.

Archived