Which adsl supplier and how?

Nervous_Dog said:

SoiCowboy Tony,

I also supply true with some equipment, and we've had a lot of problems, I think the network was never rolled out in full as many dead areas for ADSL where the existing copper not new copper was tried.

No way they are deliveing 2M over ADSL as that is the minium we require for our service, and impossible in many areas still.

I'd be curious to know how far did the network you worked on get rolled out?

Their original cable network for example had no network monitoring, so they had problems in rain etc.

That said I also find true ok, Jasmine JiNet is better I think,

Have to agree with True bandwidth access though, I know also they have bandwidth problems, as all ISP here do,

OGD

It is my understanding that TelecomASIA's plant is as old as the company itself since it is an overlay.

True Corp. is in the process now of shopping for a copper/DSL testhead. Any copper network not properly maintained will have issues during inclement weather. It's what you do with the information provided by this monitoring equipment that is most important.

The bandwidth potential of a cable pair has nothing to do with what an ISP ultimately deploys over that pair. The very first pair I tested in the heart of Bangkok came in at 5.5M bps at the premises. Another pair, further out at 19,000', supported a DSL connection at 2.6M bps.

I'ved used KSC ADSL since they first started the service, and it's wonderful. Always get close to 100% of maximum throughput. And their service has been great. I once had a problem with my connection and they did lots of tests. Said it's probably a setting on my computer or maybe the phone line, but they contacted the phone company and the phone company insisted it wasn't a phone line problem. Several times. I told KSC it must be phone line as my settings weren't changed. It ended up that KSC argued and fought with the phone company and finally dragged a phone company person out to our house. The KSC person, using his PC, proved to the phone company guy that it WAS their problem. Phone company then had it fixed within an hour. KSC really fought for me!

BUT I have to pay 1,900 per month. There's a discount for paying annually.

KSC also has a cheap plan for about the same price as the True plan, but the quality isn't the same. I don't know exactly why the difference. S! HiSpeed Internet.

http://www.ksc.net/Item.aspx?Channel=2&Item=1166&Page=1

Note that True recently bought KSC but my understanding is the True does not have something equivalent to the KSC 1,900 baht plan, so that'll probably stay. I also understand that True is probably going to keep all of the KSC employees because of their technical expertise. They're talking about moving some of their people into the KSC building.

Cheers guys, very extensive and usefull info there. true dosent sound half as bad as some people have told me... infact it sounds ok. KSC has to be the winner for me though. Just checked out the various offers they have and the 1900b month package, while expensive, is lightening quick and relaible, so i'll go with that!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Hi,

I find True quite ok, I have not had any problems with them.

I believe you sign up for 6 or 12 months, pay monthly. A startup fee paying for the modem, nothing crazy, just 1,500 baht or something.

Choose a decent speed maybe 2.5 Mb, runs around 1,200 baht a month.

Regards,

Danish30

One thing that I should have also mentioned, in support of my decision to stay with KSC, is that on occassion I've hopped onto my neighbors' True Wifi systems a few times as a test.

At 3am, throughput has been fantastic. At 5pm, slower than dial-up!

I've tested this out on a couple of neighbors' networks, so I know it isn't because of an individual's configuration.

Archived