Which adsl supplier and how?

Hi there..

Im new to BKK and have an appartment on lower SUK. My landline is supplied by TOT, and i need to connect up to adsl. Can any of you guys tell me who the best supplier is? I heard that True are ok... is that, er, true?

Is there a minimum sign up period of 12 months?

Do you have to pay up for the year or monthly?

Is it worth paying a little bit more per month for a super quick connection or is the standard package ok with most suppliers?

Thanks in advance

Batty

true is quite bad, unfortunaly I have a TA line and cant get any other in this area with my line.

CSLoxinfo is the same price as true. KSC is the best but 4x more expensive. Try Csloxinfo with a TOT line. True is owned by TA and may be more expensive for a TOT line

www.adslthailand.com is the best place for info. read the english forum and make a choice

True, by my experience, has been quite good.

I've read a lot of the posts on adslThailand (though not recently) and read a lot of bitching about people regarding True because they weren't getting their "full" bandwidth with p2p and torrent programs. Just a lot of ignorant, but very vocal, people.

Having said that, I don't think they are any better or worse than what else is out there. But they've been good by me (but I don't need much technical support).

<<burp>>

whosyourdaddy said:

true is quite bad, unfortunaly I have a TA line and cant get any other in this area with my line.

I installed the first TelecomASIA ADSL line in Bangkok in 2Q, 2001. The bandwidth potential of the cable pair was incredible since TelecomASIA overlayed their network onto the existing one, installing new, state-of-the-art, gel-filled cable that grew in wire gauge the further it went out. (They built their network the way you're supposed to.)

Are you sure it's a TelecomASIA (now True Corp.) issue or their ISP, ClickTA?

Believe me, there's a profound difference.

I am with Gummi in that I have *never* had a problem with True. Excellent service, tho' I have also no need for their tech support, so I cannot speak about the quality there.

I am on 3M/512K for B1850/mo. and it tests out ot be just that.

Batty: Since you have a TOT line, I think you cannot use True; and I have not heard good things about ADSL on a TOT line (can anyone share their experiences?) But you could check with True to see if they can string a line to your place. Their English service is not great, so you'll need to speak Thai to avoid confusion/frustration. Closest True office to Suk is in Fortune Town at the subway's Rama 9 stop.

Cheers,

SD

From 1999-2001 I had Asianet Cable modem by true. Now I have True ADSL 1024/512. When I tried to change to CS loxinfo , CS loxinfo came back and said they could not install their ADSL in my area since the telephone network was not the right type. But it is good enough for true :: :o

True blocks a shitload of sites.

True times out alot

True is unusable at certain times of the weekend.

Ping rates tend to be quite high

download rates are good.

It all depends how popular True is in your area and how many other people are sharing the network, but the network timing out is the main source of my problems. True allows 50-1 ratio on their hubs . KSC allows 10-1. Big difference!!!

SoiCowboy Tony,

I also supply true with some equipment, and we've had a lot of problems, I think the network was never rolled out in full as many dead areas for ADSL where the existing copper not new copper was tried.

No way they are deliveing 2M over ADSL as that is the minium we require for our service, and impossible in many areas still.

I'd be curious to know how far did the network you worked on get rolled out?

Their original cable network for example had no network monitoring, so they had problems in rain etc.

That said I also find true ok, Jasmine JiNet is better I think,

Have to agree with True bandwidth access though, I know also they have bandwidth problems, as all ISP here do,

OGD

suadum said:

I am with Gummi in that I have *never* had a problem with True. Excellent service, tho' I have also no need for their tech support, so I cannot speak about the quality there.

I am on 3M/512K for B1850/mo. and it tests out ot be just that.

<snip> Closest True office to Suk is in Fortune Town at the subway's Rama 9 stop.

Cheers,

SD

I too agree with Gummi. Good quality on my True line.

I think the closest might be at the Sukhumvit/Asoke Underground Station, just to the left of the escalators. It's in the tunnel with about 20 other shops, including an SCB bank that's open until 20:00 hrs (!), an "instant" hair cut operation and a weird shop that appears to sell only high end kitchen untensils

I live in the Phra Khanong district and have TOT landline and TOT 256/512 ADSL.

My service is pretty decent now, but that is only after a number of tweeks performed by a savvy friend (changing the target DNS server to one he knew to be more dependable, for one)

The "XAVI" router sold as part of the TOT package for B1000 extra was absolute shit, I ended up buying a D-LINK DSL500T which has worked fine.

I am pretty far from the hub and my apartment buildings wiring is pretty old, but since changing my DNS addresses, service has been interupted only during several really severe storms.

It can run slowly at times, there are a lot of business's in the area as well as internet shops with multitudes of game players, not really that much of a problem.

I went directly to the TOT office on Suk. 71, they have a variety of ADSL package deals available, I pay about B1000 per month, which includes my landline phone bill, about B300 or so worth of calls. I forget the exact installation price; I think B2000 or so.

Archived