First observations after arriving.

steffi

Well I'm back in Bangkok and so far it's been very enjoyable. Note, I've not been to Panthip yet only Paragon (which isn't much at the moment although the 80inch Samsung Display there is definately worth seeing) Anyway, went to IT Square yesterday at what use to be Laksi Plaza .. It's been about two years since I've been in Bangkok so there's been quite a lot of development in my absence. One thing that struck me was the number of vendors that stock and sell ipod Nano's and 5th generation iPods. It's truely amazing just how many are selling these devices. Guess the ipod has really taken off in the last two years. I'm looking for a decent case for my 5th Gen and there's a couple of Silicon ones on sale which is more than I can see with most of the stores in the US right now.

Things to buy this trip are ipod case, new cell phone (upgrading from Nokia 6600.. either 6110 or N70 on the list at the moment. Must have OSX iSync compatibility though)

Have they cloned the iPod yet? Seems strange you'd see so many being sold. I was under the impression they weren't doing so well in Thailand as the the price point is out of reach for the average consumer there.

Not too many stores in the states sell the silicon cases, but there are hundreds if not thousands of listings for them on ebay. Most of them coming from HK. I think they are an asian phenomenon as I've yet to see a whitey using one, ipod or mobile.

Well at IT Square they were selling this PC like clone of the Nano for sure but I believe all this ipods I'm seeing are genuine. You definately find people with Nano's about town. There's a lot of fashion concious Thai's with enough disposable income to afford an ipod. The same bunch that always have to have the latest and greatest phone.

Btw: The phone I was refering to was not 6110 but 6111 I'll probably end up with the N70 but I've not made a trip to MBK yet.

Archived