Swearing in Thai?

I know most Thaïs know the F-word and most other English and German obscenities, but are there any rude/swear/insult words in Thai? And what do they mean?

As I would just like to have something to throw back at your average pain in the arse Thai taxi driver\bar girl?

aw soo tin (au suu tin)=do you want to inhale dust . Very bad saying in Thailand, lau-saying. I don't recommend to be used.

Don't tell anyone I teached this. shocked.gif" border="0

I know those sayings more than it's healtfull to me. cool.gif" border="0

Maybe you have heard girls say "poyciet"=fucking bastartd ", something like that.

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: PhaJaNa ]

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

Think of a foreigner swearing in your language. Doesn't it sound laughable rather than menacing?

Depends on how the person is saying it. One former work colleague of mine is now a persona non grata at Rainbow II. He wanted to barfine a girl and, according to him, so did another punter and the mamasan tried to start some sort of impromptu barfine auction. He is quite fluent in Thai and got quite pissed off, calling her a 'monitor lizard face'.

Sounds funny in English but not at all in Thai. Needless to say, she started slapping him around (literally!) and a couple of Thai guys threw him out of the place.

So context counts for a lot!

To insult a thai-guy try 'mengda'. But be sure you're wearing running-shoes.

It's a male beetle that exists in Thailand (maybe elsewhere too). The male never makes a move himself. The female has to carry the male around, feed him etc.

You might get the picture... tongue.gif" border="0

we were in Prachuap a while ago scoffing seafood on the front and one of our tribe described a large mollusc as a mengdar, looked like a flat flying lobster with hundreds of eggs in its pouch that tasted like polystyrene. who knows.

Archived