"man" = it for farang

iuytrede

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Iuytrede,

Good explanation of MAN above.

One small point:

"MAN is commonly used - without any derogatory connotation - referring to everybody else IF the person referred to cannot hear it AND the speaker thinks that the listener does not know the 3rd party personally."

The Thai who explained MAN to me said even if all 3 Thais know each other it can still be non-derogatory to use it - ie 2 friends talking about a 3rd (absent) friend.

She said its 'low class' to use it though, as you point out.

Thanks, iuytrede. I've heard so many different things about the use of 'man' and this is the clearest explaination I've heard yet.

(I've been wondering about a girl last year who was talking to her friend about me using 'man' with me listening. I guess she _was_ insulting me! )

• 2 weeks later...

guys, my own thai language skills are limited, I do know that when members of my immediet thai family heard someone refer to me as 'man' when we were in the market they almost took them apart. I was informed it was a way of bringing attention to an animal or such, ie when talking about a dog. The person concerned very quickly apologised.

I was informed after it was a word that I should never use in connection with another person.

Archived