Snake Snake, Fish Fish?

Roger

What is the meaning of this saying, I have heard it said by Thais on a few occasions over the years but never paid much attention 'til now. I noticed that there was a TV program on ITV with this name...anyone throw some light on it?

Cheers

Roger

It means you don't really know much about the thing you're talking about.

I can speak English snake snake fish fish.

I don't know much about computer, only snake snake fish fish.

snake = ngu

fish = pla

when Thai knows something ngu ngu pla pla, they don't know much. In a bar scene, those people just translate the words directly, not the meaning of it, expecting you to understand it. It now becomes a joke in a conversation among Thais too.

Let's see whether anybody knows the meaning of 'NO CAR GARDEN' = maimi rot suan.

Not sure about the context of the Thai phrase, but ma ma hu hu in Chinese means so-so. A little of this- a little of that. If someone asks you how your meal (or girl)was in China and you reply ma ma hu hu....they will know what you mean. Then they may think you LaoHuLi too.

Gotta once again thank the board for some great insight. It's colloquialisms like this that really help you to understand how Thai's think and allow you to fit in better in conversations. Thanks to this post my standard response to:

'Phuut Thai mai?' has now become:

'Phuut Thai ngoo ngoo pla pla' which speaks the truth but implies a deeper understanding of the language. So far it hasn't failed to elicit a smile from the listener.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived