Horrible people live on Samui

limbo

This is a very strange report.

I live here for 6+ years and never ever experienced anyhting like this.

The author also talks about how two westerners are murdered but this didn't happen on Samui, although one may think so.

Most of the problems on Samui are amongst Thais IMO, although I'm not saying nothing happens on Samui but still I feel a lot safer here than in a lot of Western cities where crime rates and murder and assualt are much more common than on Samui.

Most of the problems happening on Samui are also with Thais from outside of Samui, either from Isaan or from other Southern cities.

This was also posted on another Thai board and the majority of the comments there are along the lines that I describe here.

I disagree with article. I lived in Samui for 2 years, and have recently moved to Bangkok. I feel safe in Bangkok, but feel safer in Samui. Most of the problems are That-Thai, and usualy involve young mafia from the main land Surrathani.

I had one expereince with the tourist police and they impressed me with there courtesy and dedication.

Street hawkers dont bother anyone, really. The most annoying thing is the taxi drivers beeping horns every second, but hardly reason to gripe. The venders and beggers here in Bangkok are far worse.

Samui is a very friendly, happy, tropical island and i would reccomend a short or long term holiday to anyone, without reservation.

I have witnessed when armed mafia guys have tried to get money from a barowner but he kept his cool because he's already paying the police for protection. Also my friend almost got shot near the Lamai boxing ring bars when an israeli guy got crazy with a hand gun. So bad things really happen in Samui but guess they are more thai-thai things or problems of farangs who are involved in shady businesses.

Trooper,

AS I already said, it's not like nothing ever bad happens in Samui, it does, just like everywhere else in Thailand or the world for that matter.

The mentioned article however makes it look like that's the only thing happening in Samui which just isn't true.

With probably close to a million visitors per year each year to Samui, it'd be very suprising if it was as described in the article.

Archived