Horrible people live on Samui

limbo

'Ahhhhh, so they are right! Horrible people DO live on Samui! Limbo is there!'

ya beat me to it Cent...........

i visited Samui and planned to chill out on the Beach and have a couple of Coffee's each Night.

but Limbo sought me out and dragged me screaming into places where Alcohol was sold and there were Girls willing to sleep with me..........

i am still shellshocked 7 Months later......... :(

and then he posts naughty Pics of a certain friend of mine........ :nono::yikes:

Some replies on the OP postbag article.

With the second artivle I can symphatise.

No one to defend Samui's reputation

Recent weeks have seen many letters in the English-language press pointing out the glaring troubles Koh Samui is facing. As a long-time resident and tourism business owner I, like many others, stand to lose if these letters have an effect on tourist arrivals. As the letter from "Name Withheld" (Postbag, Dec 21) came one day after an incident with an irresponsible taxi driver who turned violent when I dared to blare my horn at him, I feel compelled to write.

Name Withheld's letter was arguably the most dramatic and ardent plea yet. I was tempted upon finishing NW's letter to consider that had Phuket been the victim of a string of so many intensely critical observations, articulate voices from that island's movers and shakers would have come forward and pointed out the unfairness of the sweeping generalisations. I wondered, where are the voices of Samui's civic and business leaders? Is there no one to come forward and defend the island's reputation?

I suspect that, like myself, they all realise that things have gotten so out of hand, bad publicity may be the only hope for the changes so desperately needed.

ANOTHER NAME WITHHELD

Koh Samui

Island in need of a new, clean sheriff

With regard to "Horrible people live on Samui" (Postbag, Dec 21), I can confirm as a resident that no law and order exists on Samui, and that ordinary people are terrorised by the negative effects of corrupt police and other government officials.

A certain late-night establishment in central Chaweng beach has for more than one year been blaring out loud techno music till 6am every morning, keeping the numerous residents in nearby houses, bungalows, hotels, guest houses and rooms for rent sleepless all night long. Any requests to the police have been ignored as they obviously appear to be cashing in on the illegal disturbances.

In fact, the police might even have been telling the nightspot owners the names of those who have been complaining because they have received threats to keep quiet and not complain. The local government prefers to ignore any complaints from local residents who are kept sleepless and lose business as tourists have been checking out of their hotels because of unbearable noise. Samui needs a new sheriff in town, an honest and decent police chief who is not there to fill his pockets but to care for the well-being of all Samui residents and visitors. As it is today, ordinary people are powerless and have no protection.

SAMUI RESIDENT AND UK CITIZEN

''I wondered, where are the voices of Samui's civic and business leaders? Is there no one to come forward and defend the island's reputation?''

I doubt the island needs a defence of occasional negative postings by anon critiques; one million tourists per year is a huge success for such a small island that has only really been on the map for just over a decade. Plus, the people that do pick up these ill-founded opinions are usually of a non tourist demographic (Bangkok Post is consumed by ex-pats mostly?) The positives greatly out weigh the bad, the local PR team never need worry about a tiny percentage of people that may take this as read.

''I can confirm as a resident that no law and order exists''

NO law and order exists? Back up, ANON... We are talking about Ko Samui, a tropical island surrounded by blue seas, nice beaches, great atmosphere and a naturally laid back culture. No law and order? What a selfish little prick this guy is... no law and order is a massive exaggeration, fuck me its not like he lives in Bogotá. Even the non-indigenous Thai's develop a 'Samuiness' after a while on the island. If the island was so out of control, how come most people are so happy and chilled? This guy refers to a slightly bent police force that doesn?t really pose a threat as the 'lawlessness' they supposedly impose is not really a huge problem to the majority of folks who are lucky enough to live in a cheap, happy-go-lucky tropical island and turn a blind eye to local politics as, rightfully, its non of there fuckin business.

''A certain late-night establishment in central Chaweng beach has for more than one year been blaring out loud techno music till 6am every morning, keeping the numerous residents in nearby houses, bungalows, hotels, guest houses and rooms for rent sleepless all night long.''

Eh? I can?t think of anywhere on central Chaweng beach that fits this description. Unless he refers to the weekly (actually... fortnightly) black moon party? Surely he is not referring to Solo Bar? Come on ANON, Solo/BM isn?t that bad... the island previously partied 24/7 with numerous bars pumping out loud music.,. Now there are two that really have it until the late hours... the tourist demographic is mixed with extremes...families that want to relax, unwind and be in bed by midnight, and young dudes that want to have it until dawn. The island has to compensate for both. When I first moved to Samui I lived in an area adjacent to the original black moon party on the beach. The tourists literally used to walk past my house to go to/from the party and often used to park up yards from my house and make noise all night. Did it piss me off? Yes. Did I hate them for it/feel like complaining/write to Bangkok post? No. The party wasn?t my cup of tea but in my heart of hearts, I wished them all the best, hoped they enjoyed themselves and..... moved house in a day. Simple.

There is a large contingency of moany/winey people that live on Samui. Usually these people complain of over development (they too live in houses!) and too much traffic (they too drive cars/bikes!) I wish they would all bugger off and leave the appreciative majority the fuck alone with there petty and repetitive moaning!

I don't know how horrible they are really but in my three rather long days and nights in koh Samui I encountered a preponderance of stoned out and tedious people. I wont be going back unless I have too. I prefer the obnoxious tailors and tuk-tuk drivers in Patong Beach to the stoned out stupidity of some of the locals in Samui. Overall I much prefer Phuket even with the rampant overdevelopment and traffic. At least they seem to be trying to fix the roads here.

Bushpilot,

Stoned out? Very interesting, where did you meet them? Any peticular places that you can mention by name?

Trying to fix the roads, when where you here? At this very moment they're fixing the roads all over the island, after the severe damage caused by the flash floods.

Archived