New Work Permit Costs

In a business already hurting for the want of good, qualified teachers - the proposed hike in work permit prices from 1000 baht to 10,000 baht is nothing short of disastrous for the Thailand EFL business.

Many schools ask newbie teachers to cover half or all of the costs involved and 10,000 baht is no small money.

Japan and Korea must be rubbing their hands with glee.

• 2 weeks later...

Thaihome,

There are hundreds of teaching jobs that offer starting salaries of 20-25,000 baht a month.

You don't think that paying 40-50% of your first month's salary is anything to bitch about?

I think it's enough to tell someone to stick their job where the sun doesn't shine.

"You don't think that paying 40-50% of your first month's salary is anything to bitch about?"

Did I say is wasn't something to bitch about?

"I think it's enough to tell someone to stick their job where the sun doesn't shine."

That is what I was trying to say.

Unless you are working here just for the "experience" why would you have a job that requires you to live so close to the poverty level? I just don't understand it.

That sounds outrageous!!....... I guess it means that many people will be going with out and the borders at Arunyaprathet and Hadyai (and not to mention the consulate in pinang) will be working harder at putting regular stamps in your passport

Thaihome,

I suppose that some people do start out just for the "experience", (I know I think of it on a daily basis), but after relationships develop, (and not just with wives/bgs but with friends), then it isn't so easy to give it up and go "home" to what?

BkkPhil's right, if the Thais want to really be a Tiger economy then they've got to get a grip. English language skills will become increasingly important for young Thais who want to get ahead. If they ain't got teachers then they ain't gonna learn.

Thaihome

Has it occurred to you that some people like working as English teachers?

I have taught English in England, Bhutan, Czech Republic, Poland, Khyrghyz Republic, Turkey and Thailand. Thailand is a major headache for me, two reasons why:-

1) I have met a non-BG Thai girl, who I wish to marry.

2) My preferred occupation pays very little.

Leaving Thailand is not an option for the GF,

too many family ties. This board and others point out that a marriage with an uprooted Thai rarely works anyway.

I love the place and am happy with a few weeks back in England each year.

However, 10,000 THB each and every time I get a new work permit makes me think...... Japan, Korea, not that far to travel back to Thailand. At least twice the money and flights paid, visa organised and work permits arranged.

My teacher training cost me approximately 200,000 THB plus lost earnings while gaining all the qualifications. I know I'm worth much more in the way of salary than I earn. I can live with that, but to pay this much for permission to educate the future of the country makes me very angry.

This may well be the straw that breaks this particular camel's back.

The tragedy is that of all the places I have taught Thailand is the country most in need of quality native teachers. A very short-sighted cash cow opportunity by Taksin et al. Great place shame about the mentality of the politicians

For those who have been to the labor department to pick up their own work permit, you'll be fully aware that there is no signage in English telling you where to go so you end up looking for someone who can actually tell you where it is in English (not that easy a task)

The last time I was there, the dragon on duty informed me that I needed to photocopy a certain document. This required a trek of sherpa-like proportions to the other side of the building where apparently a photocopier allegedly stood. After going up and down several flights of stairs, through dozens of doors and down endless corridors - I gave up and trudged back to the dragon on duty with murder in mind.

"I'm sorry but I really cannot find it. Could you please draw me a map"

"Never mind" she said, and promptly reached behind her and used a desktop photocopier not 3 feet away.

I have never been more sure that Thailand didn't want me.

Archived