Medical work in thailand?

I spoke with a British MD about 3 years ago who was then practising at Bangkok Nursing Home. He'd been in Thailand for about 40 years. He said you had to be able to read, write and speak Thai in order to even qualify to apply for licensure here as a physician.

-redwood

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
redwood13 said:

I spoke with a British MD about 3 years ago who was then practising at Bangkok Nursing Home. He'd been in Thailand for about 40 years. He said you had to be able to read, write and speak Thai in order to even qualify to apply for licensure here as a physician.

-redwood

You most probably do, the job I went for was non medical. I dont know if the farang doctors at Bumingrad speak Thai or whether they work in management/training and may not treat patients.

redwood13 said:

-redwood

I don't doubt it.

Interestingly, however, none of the MDs that I know of that are working in the non-profit sector are licensed in Thailand. I wonder how Thai law deals with this issue?

I work in Medical licensing in the UK. We share info on drs moving from Thailand to the UK and vice versa (when Thai drs are moving back to LOS, not been asked by the Thai authorities for info on any English drs moving there, although had some info exchange on Indian Drs).

All Drs in Thailand must by law be registered with the Thai regulatory authorities. Not sure how well it is policed but we can obtain information fairly easy on any Thai Dr (we have in the past)

There are quite a few Thai Drs in the Uk at present,

Try http://www.moph.go.th/

I am a radiologist in the USA. Namely I am responsible for interpreting CT, MRI, Nuclear Medicine studies and the like. I have been investigating working from Thailand in a Night hawk capacity (ie read studies produced at night time in the USA via high speed internet connection from Thailand). Quite a few bugs to work out there like the quality of the internet system, visas etc. However, if it pans out...I will let you guys know about the results.

Archived