Medical work in thailand?

cardinalblue said:

I think it solely depends on your technical qualifications..

You would be able to get work if you are a doctor or a nurse working for a NGO but it would probably be in an undesired rural area like on a border or multi country type work..

I seriously doubt as someone mentioned the restricted list one say could be regular a lab or rad tech or a RN in bkk or phuket. That being said, i did know a county coroner pathologist/MD who was asked to come and set up a program for the BKK police. He turned them down...

As to a non-tech position work, i think far and few between. Again, restrictions but if creative by setting up your own H.C. business, it might fly. That being said, the CEO of Bum Hospital is an american who once headed up USC medical center or something down there in La La land.. But i think that is rare indeed to have foreigners in H. C. management positions...

PM because i myself would love to get involved looking at H. C. business opportunitites here especially like occ med, home care, long-term care, HMO-PPO models, acute care JCAHO accreditation consulting, etc

Remember, LOS is not the complex, mature H.C. industry that exists in America or other western countries which could actually be the opportunity you are looking for given the direction (meaning following the western medical model) of health care here......

CB

I would be very interested to find out, definitively, what healthcare related occupations are or are not on the restricted list. Anybody in the know?

Cardinalblue, you bring up some interesting points. Certainly with the large expatriate population and the growing medical-tourism industry it would appear that there would certainly be a niche market for western trained/certified healthcare professionals, even if only in a management/consulting capacity - i.e. assisting with internationally recognized accreditation, etc.

This is very interesting to me and is something that I would like to investigate further.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied for a position in the Accreditation Quality Team. I have no medical expertise, the position was based on process and quality improvement in service/administration and continuing compliance to the International standards.

Made the shortlist but not the offer. I was interviewed by farangs and thais, one of the Clinical Directors was I think Dutch and there was an American, couple of years back now.

Ckrisg said:

I applied for a position in the Accreditation Quality Team. I have no medical expertise, the position was based on process and quality improvement in service/administration and continuing compliance to the International standards.

Made the shortlist but not the offer. I was interviewed by farangs and thais, one of the Clinical Directors was I think Dutch and there was an American, couple of years back now.

That's very impressive that you made the shortlist, Ckrig. Were your interviews with Thai staff conducted in Thai? In other words, were they seeking a bilingual applicant? (obviously a big plus, but was it required?)

>more mainstream medical sector

Out of interest, I have been having a mooch around on the internet to see what I can find, and the answer is very little. To practice medicine you will almost certainly (although I can't find a confirmatory article) need acreditation from the Thailand Medical Board. You can start looking here:

http://www.tmc.or.th/html/main/index.php

Its all in Thai, so good luck there unless you are fluent in Thai. Which rather pinpoints the problem you would have. Even in places like Bumingrand, the majority of patients would be thai with maybe no english. How are you going to talk to them, or the nurses, or the admin?

My *feeling* is that you would be very, very very unlikely to get accreditation to practice Medicine in Thailand (medics are the epitomy of the "closed shop" world wide). Often countries have a list of places that are equivalent, but even then, you may need to jump through hoops.

Admin side, again, even in places with a foreign admin system (like Bumi), it is probably cheaper to hire a bilingual thai then a foreigner. Lots of medics in Thiland are overseas trained and so would be "more suitable" then a foreign trained medic.

However, if you have a serious, serious shit specilaization you may well be able to find a niche somewhere.

One other place you *may* find something is the Thai unis. Either a research position or a teaching position. Again likely to be scarce, but you may luck out.

-j-

Hey!

Thanks for the advice and info, Josh.

There's a fair amount of clinical work available within the NGO sector. It's competitive, but it's there. I do enjoy that kind of work, however, i'm not sure I would want to live in a rural environment for an extended amount of time (where most such work is based it seems). I'm pretty much a city person at heart. If I found something good in the NGO sector that was based in a more urban setting I would probably jump at the chance. That might be ideal for me.

I have always assumed that more mainstream clinical work would be very unlikely. As discussed above, I suspect some form of consulting may be an option, but who knows? :dunno: I suspect that I would likely have to complete an MBA to be competitive for those sorts of positions though.

Anyway, I would very much like to find something full time in Thailand someday. I suspect it will be difficult, but i'm hoping that if I remain flexible I just may luck into something down the line.

Wish me luck! Cheers :beer:

I know of 3 farangs working in the medical field here.

One is a doctor in pediatrics from the UK. She lived here for 10 years and was fluent in Thai but she did not pass her Thai Medical exam so could not practice. Instead she worked at the International section of the hospital. More of a PR /Office woman.

My neighbour works at a major hospital network. Again fluent in Thai, he is a sales and promotion manager of the hospital. Mainly sets up deals with Thai / International companies to get them to cover their employees. Also designs promotional packages.

The last is a DR who works for the WHO who travels between Wwitzerland and here doing research.

My second degree is in a Medical field. For my position here the pay would not be great and I think the work much less rewarding. Never really considered trying to work here and my canadian licence just expired so......

whosyourdaddy said:

I know of 3 farangs working in the medical field here.

One is a doctor in pediatrics from the UK. She lived here for 10 years and was fluent in Thai but she did not pass her Thai Medical exam so could not practice. Instead she worked at the International section of the hospital. More of a PR /Office woman.

My neighbour works at a major hospital network. Again fluent in Thai, he is a sales and promotion manager of the hospital. Mainly sets up deals with Thai / International companies to get them to cover their employees. Also designs promotional packages.

The last is a DR who works for the WHO who travels between Wwitzerland and here doing research.

My second degree is in a Medical field. For my position here the pay would not be great and I think the work much less rewarding. Never really considered trying to work here and my canadian licence just expired so......

PM if you're gonna be around bangers in feb. We should meet up. Cheers. :beer:

Archived